public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: c/6300: sparcv9-sun-solaris2.7 gcc-3.1 C testsuite failure in gcc.dg/cpp/charconst.c
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR c/6300; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu>
To: neil@daikokuya.demon.co.uk
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu, zack@codesourcery.com
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:19:15 -0400 (EDT)

  > From: "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu>
  >
  >   > From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.demon.co.uk>
  >   >
  >   > Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:-
  >   >
  >   > >  > FAIL: gcc.dg/cpp/charconst.c (test for excess errors)
  >   > >
  >   > > >From gcc.log, the excess error is:
  >   > >
  >   > >  > Excess errors:
  >   > >  > gcc.dg/cpp/charconst.c:28: warning: overflow in implicit constant conversion
  >   > >
  >   > > It seems that sparcv9- (i.e. not sparc-) is necessary to trigger
  >   > the bug.  See: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2002-04/msg00484.html
  >   > > vs: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2002-04/msg00482.html
  >   > >
  >   > > *** This is a regression from 3.0.3.
  >   >
  >   > Any idea what patch caused it?
  >   > Neil.
  >
  >  No.  I traced back and found that it didn't happen here:
  >  6/7/2001 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2001-06/msg00210.html
  >
  >  but it did occur here:
  >  7/10/2001 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2001-07/msg00160.html
  >  7/17/2001 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2001-07/msg00219.html
  >
  >  This interval seems to have been a particularing unstable period
  >  for solaris2 on what was then the 3.1 trunk.  So unfortunately
  >  there aren't any reports in between those listed above which
  >  narrow down the exact date when it started for solaris2.

 I narrowed the search by building cc1 using various "cvs up -D <date>"
 and found that 6/9/2001 was ok and 6/10/2001 had the problem.  I've
 included the ChangeLog diff between those two dates.  If I had to
 guess, I'd say that the reenabling of the solaris2 bi-arch was the
 trigger.  However that probably only enabled the bug and wasn't
 necessarily the underlying cause. :-(