public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: target/6421: .hidden binutils bug craps up sparc builds
@ 2002-04-24 18:33 rth
From: rth @ 2002-04-24 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davem, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jakub, rth

Synopsis: .hidden binutils bug craps up sparc builds

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->closed
State-Changed-By: rth
State-Changed-When: Wed Apr 24 18:33:47 2002
State-Changed-Why:

    Fixed for 3.1 only.  I rather expect binutils 2.12.1 to
    be out before 3.2, and I don't want to carry around this
    goop forever.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6421

* Re: target/6421: .hidden binutils bug craps up sparc builds
@ 2002-04-26  5:00 davem
From: davem @ 2002-04-26  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davem, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jakub, rth

Synopsis: .hidden binutils bug craps up sparc builds

State-Changed-From-To: closed->open
State-Changed-By: davem
State-Changed-When: Fri Apr 26 05:00:39 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Not a Sparc specific bug, i386 has the same
    binutils bug.  Need to write a better test.

@ 2002-04-23  6:50 davem
From: davem @ 2002-04-23  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davem, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jakub, nobody, rth, rth

Synopsis: .hidden binutils bug craps up sparc builds

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->rth
Responsible-Changed-By: davem
Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Apr 23 06:49:58 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Nyah nyah :-)
State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: davem
State-Changed-When: Tue Apr 23 06:49:58 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    We know what the problem is, see Description

@ 2002-04-23  6:46 davem
From: davem @ 2002-04-23  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats; +Cc: rth, jakub

>Number:         6421
>Category:       target
>Synopsis:       .hidden binutils bug craps up sparc builds
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Apr 23 06:46:01 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     davem@redhat.com
>Release:        unknown-1.0
Due to a bug in Sparc binutils, .hidden directives
can cause GOT entries to not be relocated.
The end result during builds is a mis-link of portions
of libgcc (in particular the &__bb_exit_func in
libgcc2.c is no relocated and has 0x0 as it's address).

It is fixed in binutils CVS, however at gcc-3.1 release
time there will be no public binutils release with the
fix.  We need to check in configure if the bug exists
or not, and if so act as if .hidden support is not present.
>How-To-Repeat:
Build on sparc target using binutils-2.12
>Fix:
Richard is working on configury bits to detect this
bug properly.