public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* bootstrap/6622: configure should fail if bison is not found
@ 2002-05-10  4:56 spillner
From: spillner @ 2002-05-10  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         6622
>Category:       bootstrap
>Synopsis:       configure should fail if bison is not found
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri May 10 04:56:01 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Josef Spillner
>Release:        CVS gcc-3_1-branch 10.05.2002
Bison is needed to compile gcc.
For example, within the target [all-gcc][c-parse.c].
However, if bison is not found during the configuration, the configure script does not complain.
   checking for bison... no
Yacc or Byacc are not installed either.
>How-To-Repeat:
Uninstall bison and remove config.cache, then rerun configure.
>Fix:
Bail out if no bison is found.
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: bootstrap/6622: configure should fail if bison is not found
@ 2002-05-16 18:35 rth
From: rth @ 2002-05-16 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, spillner

Synopsis: configure should fail if bison is not found

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: rth
State-Changed-When: Thu May 16 18:35:24 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    This is not appropriate for building from release tarballs, which include
    the Bison-generated files so that users don't need Bison installed.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6622

* Re: bootstrap/6622: configure should fail if bison is not found
@ 2002-05-15 11:46 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-05-15 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/6622; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>
To: Josef Spillner <spillner@internet24.de>
Cc: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/6622: configure should fail if bison is not found
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:43:30 -0400

 On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 01:59:38PM +0200, Josef Spillner wrote:
 > On Saturday 11 May 2002 02:22, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
 > > This is not appropriate for building from release tarballs, which include
 > > the Bison-generated files so that users don't need Bison installed.
 >
 > Uhm, so what is the point of having this check in configure.in at all? :-)

 First, even developers make mistakes.  If a developer is trying to build
 from scratch on a new machine, this ensures that all the required tools
 are in place.

 Second, the check is more than just for existence; it's also for the pathname.

* Re: bootstrap/6622: configure should fail if bison is not found
@ 2002-05-14  5:06 Josef Spillner
From: Josef Spillner @ 2002-05-14  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/6622; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Josef Spillner <spillner@internet24.de>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,
 <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:59:38 +0200

 On Saturday 11 May 2002 02:22, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
 > This is not appropriate for building from release tarballs, which inclu=
 de
 > the Bison-generated files so that users don't need Bison installed.

 Uhm, so what is the point of having this check in configure.in at all? :-=
 )

 Anyway, I found there's more or less the same bug report already at=20
 other/2529, so both should be closed then.

 Josef

* Re: bootstrap/6622: configure should fail if bison is not found
@ 2002-05-10 17:26 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-05-10 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/6622; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <spillner@internet24.de>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 01:22:32 +0100 (BST)