public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* fortran/6742: Generation of C++ Prototype for FORTRAN and extern "C"
@ 2002-05-20  8:16 donald.a.pellegrino
From: donald.a.pellegrino @ 2002-05-20  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         6742
>Category:       fortran
>Synopsis:       Generation of C++ Prototype for FORTRAN and extern "C"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          doc-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon May 20 08:16:01 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Don Pellegrino
>Release:        unknown-1.0
The online documentation at: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/g77/C---Considerations.html#C++%20Considerations

Reads "C++ Considerations
f2c can be used to generate suitable code for compilation with a C++ system using the -C++ option. The important thing about linking g77-compiled code with C++ is that the prototypes for the g77 routines must specify C linkage to avoid name mangling. So, use an extern "C" declaration. f2c's -C++ option will take care of this when generating skeletons or prototype files as above, and also avoid clashes with C++ reserved words in addition to those in C."

When using f2c with -C++ and -P the .P prototype files that are generated contain only extern declarations rather than extern "C" declarations.  When I link I get undefinied references unless I manually edit the .P and add the "C".  I would prefer the behavior described in the documentation where the -C++ flag generates prototypes containing extern "C" instead of simply extern.  Is a particular version of f2c being referenced to get the behavior specified in the g77 documentation?
>How-To-Repeat:
f2c -C++ -P file.F
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: fortran/6742: Generation of C++ Prototype for FORTRAN and extern "C"
@ 2002-11-02  3:15 toon
From: toon @ 2002-11-02  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: donald.a.pellegrino, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, toon

Synopsis: Generation of C++ Prototype for FORTRAN and extern "C"

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->toon
Responsible-Changed-By: toon
Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Nov  2 03:15:41 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Fortran Maintainer.
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: toon
State-Changed-When: Sat Nov  2 03:15:41 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    This is a documentation error of g77, which will be fixed
    in 3.3.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6742