public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* c/6968: functions that shouldn't accept arguments accept infinite arguments (eg; test() )
@ 2002-06-07 18:16 tmorelan
From: tmorelan @ 2002-06-07 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         6968
>Category:       c
>Synopsis:       functions that shouldn't accept arguments accept infinite arguments (eg; test() )
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          accepts-illegal
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Jun 07 18:16:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Terry Moreland
>Release:        2.95, 2.96, 3.1
a function declared as taking no arguments accepts infinite arguments without complaint under -Wall -ansi -pedantic or any other standard

eg;
void test( ) {
  printf("shouldn't compile\n");
}

int main(void) {
  test( 1, 2, 3, "Hello", "World", "this", "shouldn't", "compile" );
  return(0);
}

above code compiles and runs without error
>How-To-Repeat:
sample code:

#include <stdio.h>

void test( ) {
  printf("shouldn't compile\n" );
}

int main(void) {
  test( 1, 2, 3, "Hello", "World" );
  return(0);
}
>Fix:
change prototype of function that shouldn't accept arguments
to use void as argument

eg;
void test(void);
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: c/6968: functions that shouldn't accept arguments accept infinite arguments (eg; test() )
@ 2002-06-08 12:46 Terry Moreland
From: Terry Moreland @ 2002-06-08 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/6968; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Terry Moreland <tmorelan@q.cis.uoguelph.ca>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: zack@gcc.gnu.org, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c/6968: functions that shouldn't accept arguments accept infinite
 arguments (eg; test() )
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:29:18 -0400 (EDT)

 ok, I'll accept that, but still passing arguments to a function defined in this
 way should still produce a warning since the arguments are inaccessible from
 within the function and it just looks wrong

 Terry

 On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

 > On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Terry Moreland wrote:
 >
 > > mean that in c99 void test() is a function that takes no arguments since
 > > enmpty identifier list is part of the function definition and as such the
 > > void test() example should produce an error in c99, but doesn't in gcc 3.1 using
 > > -std=c99
 > >
 > > please let me know if I am wrong, I have slept in a while and the iso c99 spec
 > > can be very wordy at times
 >
 > It specifies, for the purposes of the definition, that it has no
 > parameters.  It does not, for the purposes of subsequent calls to the
 > function, give it a type that includes a prototype, so the subsequent
 > calls are not checked.

 Terry Moreland       |  Computer and Information Science
 tmorelan@uoguelph.ca |              University of Guelph

 If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use?
 Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?
     - Seymour Cray (1925-1996), father of supercomputing

* Re: c/6968: functions that shouldn't accept arguments accept infinite arguments (eg; test() )
@ 2002-06-08  2:46 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-06-08  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/6968; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: Terry Moreland <tmorelan@q.cis.uoguelph.ca>
Cc: <zack@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
 arguments (eg; test() )
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 10:41:30 +0100 (BST)

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: c/6968: functions that shouldn't accept arguments accept infinite arguments (eg; test() )
@ 2002-06-07 23:56 Terry Moreland
From: Terry Moreland @ 2002-06-07 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/6968; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Terry Moreland <tmorelan@q.cis.uoguelph.ca>
To: zack@gcc.gnu.org, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <nobody@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
 arguments (eg; test() )
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 02:44:36 -0400 (EDT)

 I might be reading this wrong but does not:

 An identifier list declares only the identifiers of the parameters of the function. An empty
 list in a function declarator that is part of a definition of that function specifies that the
 function has no parameters. The empty list in a function declarator that is not part of a
 definition of that function specifies that no information about the number or types of the
 parameters is supplied.124)

 ( ISO 9899:1999 Section 6.7.5.3 Paragraph 14 )

 mean that in c99 void test() is a function that takes no arguments since
 enmpty identifier list is part of the function definition and as such the
 void test() example should produce an error in c99, but doesn't in gcc 3.1 using
 -std=c99

 please let me know if I am wrong, I have slept in a while and the iso c99 spec
 can be very wordy at times

 the reference 124 leads to 6.11.6 which mentions:
 The use of function declarators with empty parentheses (not prototype-format parameter
 type declarators) is an obsolescent feature.

 Terry

@ 2002-06-07 22:56 zack