public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* libgcj/7073: bytecode interpreter gives wrong answer for interface getSuperclass()
@ 2002-06-18 14:16 jsturm
From: jsturm @ 2002-06-18 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         7073
>Category:       libgcj
>Synopsis:       bytecode interpreter gives wrong answer for interface getSuperclass()
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Jun 18 14:06:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Jeff Sturm
>Release:        3.1
For an interface class instance, getSuperclass() returns java.lang.Object instead of null.  This is inconsistent with the behavior of compiled classes and the public documentation on java.sun.com.
>How-To-Repeat:
Run the attached example under the bytecode interpreter:

[jsturm@suzy jsturm]$ gcj -C B.java
[jsturm@suzy jsturm]$ gij B
class java.lang.Object
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
----gnatsweb-attachment----

aW50ZXJmYWNlIEEgewp9CgpwdWJsaWMgY2xhc3MgQiB7CiAgcHVibGljIHN0YXRpYyB2b2lkIG1h
aW4oU3RyaW5nW10gYXJncykgewogICAgU3lzdGVtLm91dC5wcmludGxuKEEuY2xhc3MuZ2V0U3Vw
ZXJjbGFzcygpKTsKICB9Cn0K

* Re: libgcj/7073: bytecode interpreter gives wrong answer for interface getSuperclass()
@ 2002-07-01 19:54 tromey
From: tromey @ 2002-07-01 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, java-prs, jsturm, nobody, tromey

Synopsis: bytecode interpreter gives wrong answer for interface getSuperclass()

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->tromey
Responsible-Changed-By: tromey
Responsible-Changed-When: Mon Jul  1 19:54:26 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    I'm handling this.
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: tromey
State-Changed-When: Mon Jul  1 19:54:26 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    I checked in the libgcj part of the fix a while ago.
    I just checked in the gcj part.
    So I think this is fixed.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7073

* Re: libgcj/7073: bytecode interpreter gives wrong answer for interface getSuperclass()
@ 2002-06-18 18:17 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-06-18 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libgcj/7073; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: jsturm@one-point.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libgcj/7073: bytecode interpreter gives wrong answer for interface getSuperclass()
Date: 18 Jun 2002 16:33:32 -0600

 Jeff> For an interface class instance, getSuperclass() returns
 Jeff> java.lang.Object instead of null.  This is inconsistent with the
 Jeff> behavior of compiled classes and the public documentation on
 Jeff> java.sun.com.

 Thanks, I added a Mauve tests for this, plus a related bug I found
 when looking at your test case.  (Try void.class.getSuperClass())
 I also got a failure when compiling from bytecode.

 The void thing is definitely a compiler bug.  I think it must be a
 regression, but I haven't looked.  `void.class' has to be rewritten to
 look up the `Void.TYPE' field.

 Tom