public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/5607: Covariant return types
@ 2002-07-01  2:06 Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2002-07-01  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/5607; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com>
To: <bronnimann_stephan@isoftel.com>
Cc: "'Huggel Andreas'" <huggel_andreas@isoftel.com>,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/5607: Covariant return types
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 09:58:40 +0100

 > For our project, the most important question to you is whether we can expect
 > that the bug will be fixed soon or not:

 It's not a bug, it's an unimplemented feature.  I don't think anyone plans
 to implement it soon.

 > Firstly: Since PR 3706 (opened for gcc-3.0) things have obviously changed,
 > covariant returns are now accepted. The "problem" is that a warning should
 > be issued because their usage is not safe yet.

 Yes, it should give a sorry for cases that don't currently work.  I thought
 I had fixed that.

 > Secondly: If in the test case given in PR 5607 AB is derived virtual from
 > either A or B, the compiler still rejects covariant returns.
 > class AB: public virtual A, public B {
 > public:
 >     virtual AB* getThis();
 > }
 > (I don't know if the standard allows for covariant returns when using
 > virtual inheritance, please forgive me should I be wrong).

 The standard allows it, but it requires an adjustment, so g++ doesn't
 currently support it.

 Jason

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-07-01  9:06 UTC | newest]