public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: target/7250: __ashrdi3 returns wrong value on 32 bit hppa
@ 2002-07-09 16:16 Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2002-07-09 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/7250; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Steve Ellcey <sje@cup.hp.com>
To: law@redhat.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: target/7250: __ashrdi3 returns wrong value on 32 bit hppa
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:12:56 -0700 (PDT)

 Oh poo.  I hate it when I do something stupid.  I was printing out the
 value of a "long long" variable with a "%d" format instead of "%lld" and
 the random garbage that I got made it look I was getting different
 results.

 I thought this was causing a problem that popped up when I updated cse.c
 and got a new change but it looks like that is a different problem and
 is now fixed in a cse.c patch I just saw in gcc-patches.

 This defect can be closed.  Can I close it myself or do I need some
 permssion to do that?  I have write-after-approval permission for the
 GCC tree but I haven't tried messing about with GNAT other then to
 submit a defect.

 Steve Ellcey
 sje@cup.hp.com

* Re: target/7250: __ashrdi3 returns wrong value on 32 bit hppa
@ 2002-07-10 11:56 Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2002-07-10 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/7250; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Law <law@porcupine.slc.redhat.com>
To: Steve Ellcey <sje@cup.hp.com>
Cc: law@redhat.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:51:15 -0600

 In message <200207092312.QAA07337@hpsje.cup.hp.com>, Steve Ellcey writes:
  >Oh poo.  I hate it when I do something stupid.  I was printing out the
  >value of a "long long" variable with a "%d" format instead of "%lld" and
  >the random garbage that I got made it look I was getting different
  >results.
 No problem.

  >This defect can be closed.  Can I close it myself or do I need some
  >permssion to do that?  I have write-after-approval permission for the
  >GCC tree but I haven't tried messing about with GNAT other then to
  >submit a defect.
 I took care of it.
 jeff

* Re: target/7250: __ashrdi3 returns wrong value on 32 bit hppa
@ 2002-07-10 11:47 law
From: law @ 2002-07-10 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, sje

Synopsis: __ashrdi3 returns wrong value on 32 bit hppa

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: law
State-Changed-When: Wed Jul 10 11:47:26 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Thinko, not a bug.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7250

* Re: target/7250: __ashrdi3 returns wrong value on 32 bit hppa
@ 2002-07-09 15:56 Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2002-07-09 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/7250; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Law <law@porcupine.slc.redhat.com>
To: sje@cup.hp.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:48:46 -0600

 In message <20020709203142.10159.qmail@sources.redhat.com>, sje@cup.hp.com writ
 es:

  >>Number:         7250
  >>Category:       target
  >>Synopsis:       __ashrdi3 returns wrong value on 32 bit hppa
  >>Confidential:   no
  >>Severity:       serious
  >>Responsible:    unassigned
  >>State:          open
  >>Class:          sw-bug
  >>Submitter-Id:   net
  >>Arrival-Date:   Tue Jul 09 13:36:01 PDT 2002
  >>Closed-Date:
  >>Last-Modified:
  >>Originator:     sje@cup.hp.com
  >>Release:        3.0.2
  >Arithmatic right shift of long long (64 bit) value returns wrong value.  See
  >attached file (x.c) for a program that
  >fails with -O0 (with call to __ashrdi3) but works with optimization because t
  >he call is optimized away.
  >
  >>How-To-Repeat:
  >Compile x.c and run it *without* optimization on a 32 bit PA machine.  With o
  >ptimization it works.
 Can you look a little deeper into this?  It seems quite odd that
 ashrdi3 would return the wrong value for a shift count of zero as
 it special cases zero count in libgcc2.c:

 DWtype
 __ashrdi3 (DWtype u, word_type b)
 {
   DWunion w;
   word_type bm;
   DWunion uu;

   if (b == 0)
     return u;

 [ ... ]

 Jeff

* target/7250: __ashrdi3 returns wrong value on 32 bit hppa
@ 2002-07-09 13:36 sje
From: sje @ 2002-07-09 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         7250
>Category:       target
>Synopsis:       __ashrdi3 returns wrong value on 32 bit hppa
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Jul 09 13:36:01 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     sje@cup.hp.com
>Release:        3.0.2
Arithmatic right shift of long long (64 bit) value returns wrong value.  See attached file (x.c) for a program that
fails with -O0 (with call to __ashrdi3) but works with optimization because the call is optimized away.

>How-To-Repeat:
Compile x.c and run it *without* optimization on a 32 bit PA machine.  With optimization it works.
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
----gnatsweb-attachment----

bWFpbiAoKQp7Cglsb25nIGxvbmcgaTsKCWludCBqOwoJaSA9IDE7CglqID0gMDsKCWkgPj49IGo7
CglwcmludGYoIiVkXG4iLGkpOwp9Cg==