public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: bootstrap/7454: make boostraps fails on SPARC v8
@ 2002-07-31  8:36 Marcus Comstedt
From: Marcus Comstedt @ 2002-07-31  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7454; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@mc.pp.se>
To: davem@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/7454: make boostraps fails on SPARC v8
Date: 31 Jul 2002 17:23:03 +0200

 davem@gcc.gnu.org writes:

 >     Closed, not a bug.  The installation manual Solaris specific
 >     section states that one must pass "--disable-multilib" to
 >     bootstrap on Solaris systems which cannot deal with sparcv9.

 Misfeature then.  If --enable-multilib doesn't work, then
 --disable-multilib should be default.

 And that `make bootstrap' forgets to run configure in subtarget N
 if there is already a Makefile for subtarget N-1 is still a bug,
 right?  Should I create a new pr for it?

   // Marcus

* Re: bootstrap/7454: make boostraps fails on SPARC v8
@ 2002-07-31  7:40 davem
From: davem @ 2002-07-31  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, marcus, nobody

Synopsis: make boostraps fails on SPARC v8

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: davem
State-Changed-When: Wed Jul 31 07:40:52 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Closed, not a bug.  The installation manual Solaris specific
    section states that one must pass "--disable-multilib" to
    bootstrap on Solaris systems which cannot deal with sparcv9.

    The specific Installation doc link is:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#sparc-sun-solaris2*

    In which it states:

    When configuring on a Solaris 7 or later system that is running a kernel that supports only 32-bit binaries, one must configure with --disable-multilib, since we will not be able to build the 64-bit target libraries.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7454

* bootstrap/7454: make boostraps fails on SPARC v8
@ 2002-07-31  7:36 marcus
From: marcus @ 2002-07-31  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         7454
>Category:       bootstrap
>Synopsis:       make boostraps fails on SPARC v8
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Jul 31 07:36:01 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Marcus Comstedt
>Release:        3.1.1
>Environment:
System: SunOS continuity 5.8 Generic_108528-10 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10
Architecture: sun4

host: sparc-sun-solaris2.8
build: sparc-sun-solaris2.8
target: sparc-sun-solaris2.8
configured with: /home/marcus/gcc-3.1.1/configure --with-cpu=hypersparc
When making bootstrap on a SPARC v8 machine (supersparc/hypersparc), the
build bombs out while building target libs.  The reason is that

A) the default is to build libs for SPARC v9 as well (in which case GCC
   will act as a cross compiler, since v9 executables can't be run on a
   v8 CPU)

B) the libffi and libjava configure scripts have one test each (for
   processor endianness and /proc/self/exe existence respectively)
   which will abort the build if configured with a cross compiler

(Also note that if a configure script for a multilib subtarget fails, and it
 is not the first multilib subtarget in the list, then `make bootstrap' will
 fail to resume the build after the error is corrected, since it assumes
 that if the configuration of the first subtarget succeeded, then _all_
 subtargets have been configured successfully.)

>How-To-Repeat:
`make bootstrap' on a sun4m machine running solaris 8.
>Fix:
By manually providing the correct answers to the two configure tests, a
complete bootstrap including SPARC v9 libs can be built:

   ac_cv_c_bigendian=yes
   ac_cv_file__proc_self_exe=no
   export ac_cv_c_bigendian
   export ac_cv_file__proc_self_exe

(These values are correct for Solaris 8.  For other operating systems
 (Linux?) another value for ac_cv_file__proc_self_exe may be appropriate.)