public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: libstdc++/7439: C99 compat: Can't use the name INFINITY in an enum.
@ 2002-08-02  9:52 bkoz
From: bkoz @ 2002-08-02  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, gdr, greyleaf, nobody

Old Synopsis: Can't use the name INFINITY in an enum.
New Synopsis: C99 compat: Can't use the name INFINITY in an enum.

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bkoz
State-Changed-When: Fri Aug  2 09:52:38 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    This comes from /usr/include/bits/mathdef.h:

    # define INFINITY	HUGE_VALF

    It looks like INFINITY is a C99 macro.

    Currently, the plan WRT libstdc++ and C99 macros is undefined. It's also an issue for things like isnan, et. al. It's also a cause for the persistent failure of

    26_numerics/c99_classification_macros_c++.cc

    I don't know what to do, but whatever is done should be consitent with all of these C99'isms.

    -benjamin

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7439

* Re: libstdc++/7439: C99 compat: Can't use the name INFINITY in an enum.
@ 2002-08-02 11:26 Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2002-08-02 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/7439; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net>
To: bkoz@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, greyleaf@attbi.com,
   nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc++/7439: C99 compat: Can't use the name INFINITY in an enum.
Date: 02 Aug 2002 20:18:16 +0200

 bkoz@gcc.gnu.org writes:

 | Old Synopsis: Can't use the name INFINITY in an enum.
 | New Synopsis: C99 compat: Can't use the name INFINITY in an enum.
 |
 | State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
 | State-Changed-By: bkoz
 | State-Changed-When: Fri Aug  2 09:52:38 2002
 | State-Changed-Why:
 |     This comes from /usr/include/bits/mathdef.h:
 |
 |     # define INFINITY	HUGE_VALF
 |
 |     It looks like INFINITY is a C99 macro.
 |
 |     Currently, the plan WRT libstdc++ and C99 macros is undefined. It's also an issue for things like isnan, et. al. It's also a cause for the persistent failure of
 |
 |     26_numerics/c99_classification_macros_c++.cc
 |
 |     I don't know what to do, but whatever is done should be consitent with all of these C99'isms.

 As part of my current work, I will provide support for infinities in
 numeric_limits<> so that the INFINITY macro become redondant.  Then
 in the compliant C headers, we could #undef them.

 I'll post a RFC for a possible strategy with C99 macros.

 Thanks,

 -- Gaby