public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: libstdc++/6776: Build 3.1 Source - Build directory on another file system fails due to hard link creation.
@ 2002-08-03 13:21 bkoz
From: bkoz @ 2002-08-03 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkoz, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, mat_geek, nobody

Synopsis: Build 3.1 Source - Build directory on another file system fails due to hard link creation.

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->bkoz
Responsible-Changed-By: bkoz
Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Aug  3 13:21:35 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Mine.
State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->feedback
State-Changed-By: bkoz
State-Changed-When: Sat Aug  3 13:21:35 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    This seems to be fixed with an update to autotools. Since this isn't a bug in the libstdc++-v3 configure/make machinery, I'd like to close it. Thoughts?

    -benjamin

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6776

* Re: libstdc++/6776: Build 3.1 Source - Build directory on another file system fails due to hard link creation.
@ 2003-02-23 20:31 neroden
From: neroden @ 2003-02-23 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkoz, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, mat_geek

Synopsis: Build 3.1 Source - Build directory on another file system fails due to hard link creation.

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: neroden
State-Changed-When: Sun Feb 23 20:31:49 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    I think it's in feedback >3 months (and we're trying to get the autotools up to modern standards right now...) so I'm closing it.

@ 2002-06-04  0:16 Matthew Hounsel
From: Matthew Hounsel @ 2002-06-04  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/6776; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Matthew Hounsel" <mat.hounsell@motorola.com>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, mat_geek@yahoo.com,
        gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc++/6776: Build 3.1 Source - Build directory on another file
 system fails due to hard link creation.
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:07:53 +1000

 Here is the reply form the autoconf list.

 > From: Paul Eggert <eggert@twinsun.com>
 > To: mat_geek@yahoo.com.au
 > CC: autoconf@gnu.org
 > Subject: Re: Autoconf : Build fails if the build and source directory are
 on
 > different file systems.
 >
 > > From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Mat=20Hounsell?= <mat_geek@yahoo.com.au>
 > > Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:33:51 +1000 (EST)
 > >
 > > The GCC maintainers tracked it probablely down to AC_PROG_LN_S.
 >
 > That problem was fixed long ago in Autoconf, but the GCC maintainers
 > are still using an old Autoconf version (2.13, released January 1999).
 > They can fix the problem by upgrading to a newer Autoconf version.
 > Most likely this is already on their list of things to do, but they
 > haven't gotten around to it yet.

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6776/

 Mathew Hounsell
                                                        Motorola
 Phone : +61 2 9666 0651                       Australia Software Centre
 Fax   : +61 2 9666 0501                                  --_|\
 Email : mat.hounsell@motorola.com                      /      \
 12 Lord St, Botany                                     \_.--._/
 Sydney, New South Wales Australia                            v

* Re: libstdc++/6776: Build 3.1 Source - Build directory on another file system fails due to hard link creation.
@ 2002-05-23  8:42 bkoz
From: bkoz @ 2002-05-23  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, mat_geek, nobody

Synopsis: Build 3.1 Source - Build directory on another file system fails due to hard link creation.

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bkoz
State-Changed-When: Thu May 23 08:42:42 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    In this case, the file include/Makefile.am uses constructs like:

    	  @LN_S@ $$h ./$${official_name} || true ;

    Where LN_S comes from acinlude.m4:56 (GLIBCPP_CONFIGURE)

      # Will set LN_S to either 'ln -s' or 'ln'.  With autoconf 2.5x, can also
      # be 'cp -p' if linking isn't available.
      #ac_cv_prog_LN_S='cp -p'
      AC_PROG_LN_S

    This appears to be broken. Since this is a standard autoconf macros, perhaps you can report this on the autoconf list and see what the status is?

    thanks,

@ 2002-05-22 18:06 mat_geek
From: mat_geek @ 2002-05-22 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         6776
>Category:       libstdc++
>Synopsis:       Build 3.1 Source - Build directory on another file system fails due to hard link creation.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed May 22 18:06:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     mat_geek@yahoo.com
>Release:        3.1
Building LibSTDC++ fails if the build directory is not in the same file system as the source directory.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install source code on one file system, or file system that doesn't support hard links, and create the build directory on another file system, or the same one if it doesn't support hard links.
Configure and 'make bootstrap'. The build progresses fine until the LibSTDC++ make where it attempts to create a hard link from a header in /usr/local/include on Ext2 to LibSTDC++'s "src/base_stdio.h" in build directory on FAT16.
>Fix:
Change the make file to handle the linking failure and do a copy instead.
I tried to copy the file manually but the make file still tries to create the hard link.