public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: gkt@cs.luc.edu
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: java/7514: help in compiling a Java 1.1 class library
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>Number:         7514
>Category:       java
>Synopsis:       help in compiling a Java 1.1 class library
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Aug 06 20:06:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     George K. Thiruvathukal
>Release:        gcj 2.96

I realize that I might receive less than an enthusiastic response for this posting. I am the author of a book, High-Performance Java Platform Computing. We produced a threads and networking library, compatible with Java 1.1 specs (i.e. not Java 2) and not containing any GUI code. I have been looking through the docs for the proper way to compile code. The code compiles cleanly with Java 1.1 and 1.2+ compilers. When I compile with GCJ, I end up getting a bunch of messages to the effect of not being able to find the classes. I have even tried various combinations  of the  various classpath options to ensure the current directory is in the path (.).

One thing you should know is that my code is in a proper "package" (org.jhpc.thread). I don't know whether this is messing things up or not.

In any event, I would really like to get this working properly. It is a collection of abstractions for threads programming, featured in my book, and I would even like to contribute to the GCJ project if there is any interest in higher-level abstractions for concurrent and parallel computing. If anyone is willing to help me, I'll provide code. (It is also available on my SourceForge web site under GPL licensing.)
>How-To-Repeat:
I can be contacted by e-mail for precise directions.
>Fix:
None known.