public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c/6861: Conflicting type name allowed
@ 2002-08-23 13:27 jsm28
From: jsm28 @ 2002-08-23 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jsm28, nobody, stevec

Synopsis: Conflicting type name allowed

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: jsm28
State-Changed-When: Fri Aug 23 13:18:50 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Fixed on mainline.  Same as c/4319.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6861

* RE: c/6861: Conflicting type name allowed
@ 2002-05-29 16:36 Steve Cornett
From: Steve Cornett @ 2002-05-29 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/6861; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Steve Cornett" <stevec@bullseye.com>
To: "Andrew Pinski" <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: RE: c/6861: Conflicting type name allowed
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:16:55 -0700

 Andrew,

 Thanks for your reply, however I disagree with your finding.

 A warning is too weak, and very much too weak if -pedantic is required to
 get the warning.  This syntax is not just a little bit off, it is completely
 invalid.  Is the type of "a" unsigned char, unsigned short or (signed)
 short?  Any of these seems plausible to me.  The bug is not that you cannot
 get a warning, but rather that a meaningless, erroneous syntax produces no
 error message.

 Thanks,
 Steve

From: Andrew Pinski @ 2002-05-29 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/6861; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>
To: stevec@bullseye.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:59:36 -0400

@ 2002-05-29 15:06 stevec
From: stevec @ 2002-05-29 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         6861
>Category:       c
>Synopsis:       Conflicting type name allowed
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed May 29 14:56:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Steve Cornett
>Release:        3.1
Two conflicting types are incorrectly allowed in the same declaration.  The sample code below ought to trigger an error, but is incorrectly accepted.

typedef unsigned char T;
T short a;
>How-To-Repeat:
gcc -c bug.c