public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: java/8138: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class for second time"
@ 2002-10-04  2:19 aph
From: aph @ 2002-10-04  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adam, aph, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, java-prs, nobody

Synopsis: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class for second time"

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->aph
Responsible-Changed-By: aph
Responsible-Changed-When: Fri Oct  4 02:19:29 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Huh?
State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: aph
State-Changed-When: Fri Oct  4 02:19:29 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Unrepro

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8138

* Re: java/8138: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class for second time"
@ 2003-02-15  8:36 Adam Megacz
From: Adam Megacz @ 2003-02-15  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aph; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/8138; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Adam Megacz <adam@megacz.com>
To: aph@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: adam@xwt.org,  gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	  java-prs@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,  aph@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/8138: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class for second time"
Date: 15 Feb 2003 00:34:57 -0800

 I concur; it has been fixed as a side effect of some other change.

   - a

 --
 "The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his
  work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body,

* Re: java/8138: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class for second time"
@ 2003-01-29 21:36 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-01-29 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aph; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/8138; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>
Cc: aph@gcc.gnu.org, adam@xwt.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
        java-prs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 29 Jan 2003 14:26:30 -0700

 >> I don't know if it is the same bug, but a current build of rhug using
 >> 3.3 on x86 will give this error while building xalan.

 Andrew> With -O3?

 With -O2.  I found the bug, sort of.  I have a patch I only partly
 understand.

 Tom

* Re: java/8138: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class for second time"
@ 2003-01-29 20:16 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-01-29 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aph; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/8138; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: aph@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: adam@xwt.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
        java-prs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, aph@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 29 Jan 2003 13:00:59 -0700

 Andrew> Synopsis: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class
 Andrew> for second time"

 I don't know if it is the same bug, but a current build of rhug using
 3.3 on x86 will give this error while building xalan.  I started
 looking at this yesterday.

 Tom

* Re: java/8138: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class for second time"
@ 2003-01-29 20:16 Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2003-01-29 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aph; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/8138; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>
To: tromey@redhat.com
Cc: aph@gcc.gnu.org, adam@xwt.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, java-prs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:13:04 +0000 (GMT)

 Tom Tromey writes:
  > Andrew> Synopsis: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class
  > Andrew> for second time"
  >
  > I don't know if it is the same bug, but a current build of rhug using
  > 3.3 on x86 will give this error while building xalan.

 With -O3?

  > I started looking at this yesterday.

 Last time I tried, the test case was fine.  It might be a Heisenbug.

 Andrew.

* Re: java/8138: Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class for second time"
@ 2003-01-29 20:04 aph
From: aph @ 2003-01-29 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adam, aph, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, java-prs

@ 2002-10-03 23:26 adam
From: adam @ 2002-10-03 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         8138
>Category:       java
>Synopsis:       Compiler chokes with -O3, "fatal error reading class for second time"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Oct 03 23:26:01 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Adam Megacz
>Release:        unknown-1.0
gnu/gcj/runtime/StringBuffer.java:0: fatal error: reading class gnu.gcj.runtime.StringBuffer for the second time from /usr/local/gcc/share/java/libgcj-3.3.jar
compilation terminated.
>How-To-Repeat:
Try this; the first compile will fail if you used gcc 2.95 to build your compiler.  If you used gcc 3.x, the second will fail.

wget http://www.megacz.com/src.tgz
tar xvzf src.tgz
gcj -fCLASSPATH= -Isrc/ -O3 -c src/org/xwt/HTTP.java -o HTTP.o
gcj -fCLASSPATH= -Isrc/ -O3 -c src/org/xwt/Trap.java -o Trap.o