public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c/2582: implicit cast assignment from int to float problem with x86
@ 2002-10-10 11:46 hubicka
From: hubicka @ 2002-10-10 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jmurray, nobody

Synopsis: implicit cast assignment from int to float problem with x86

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->closed
State-Changed-By: hubicka
State-Changed-When: Thu Oct 10 11:46:33 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    The extended precision is property of the i386 hardware and valid according to c99. see FLT_EVAL_MODE

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=2582

* RE: c/2582: implicit cast assignment from int to float problem with x86
@ 2001-04-23  9:36 Joe Murray
From: Joe Murray @ 2001-04-23  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/2582; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Murray <jmurray@dsrnet.com>
To: "'gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org'" <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: RE: c/2582: implicit cast assignment from int to float problem wi
	th x86
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:42:43 -0400

 All,

 Intel has provided the following explanation. Is there a flag in GCC that
 may do something similar? Is there a mechanism that supports forcing a
 register assignment when an exectuable is run?

 Intel response:

 Hi  Joseph,

 Here's what we've found.

 When running C language on Intel processors, the most popular compilers
 including Microsoft* Visual C++, Borland C, Turbo C and GNU would encounter
 rounding errors when doing floating point calculations.

 The floating point unit located within the processor has 4 rounding modes
 (round to nearest, round down, round up and truncate) and 3 precision modes
 (24-bit, 53-bit and 64-bit). The default mode for Intel processors is round
 to nearest. Unfortunately, the rounding mode would get changed to truncate,
 resulting in a round-off error.

 The easiest solution would be to add a few lines of inline assembly that
 would change the round mode to round to nearest.

 short example;

 //Loads the FPU Control register to X.
 _asm
 {
   fstsw ax
   mov x,ax
 }

 //Perform a bitwise OR to change rounding mode (bit 10-11) to "To nearest
 (00). //48D=0000001100000000B
 //For more information on the FPU control reference refer to the Software
 Developer's Manual
 x=x|48;

 //Takes X back to the FPU Control Register
 _asm
 {
  fldcw x;
 }

 Randy S.
 Intel(R) Technical Support Engineer
 *Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

 Thank you very much for your problem report.
 It has the internal identification `c/2582'.
 The individual assigned to look at your
 report is: unassigned.

@ 2001-04-18 15:46 Joe Murray
From: Joe Murray @ 2001-04-18 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/2582; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Murray <jmurray@dsrnet.com>
To: "'gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org'" <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,
   Joe Murray
	 <jmurray@dsrnet.com>, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
	th x86
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:44:08 -0400

 Note: Don't compile with any optimization because it precomputes all of the
 values and masks the problem. i.e. don't use any flavor of -O

 Joe.

From: jmurray @ 2001-04-18 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats