public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* c/8203: feature request: include structure/class alignment information into debugging section (stabs)
@ 2002-10-11 15:56 siva
From: siva @ 2002-10-11 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         8203
>Category:       c
>Synopsis:       feature request: include structure/class alignment information into debugging section (stabs)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          support
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Oct 11 15:56:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Siva
>Release:        unknown-1.0
Currently gcc does not output the alignment information for structure/class members to the debugging sections. It does output bitpos and bitsize of each structure member. but not the alignment information. It would be great to have the alignment information too.

For instance, if I want to write a function that takes a type-name as its argument and returns the alignment required by the structure, then it is not possible to do so bcos the compiler never outputs this information (so objdump cannot read this at all).
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: c/8203: feature request: include structure/class alignment information into debugging section (stabs)
@ 2002-10-11 16:49 rth
From: rth @ 2002-10-11 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, siva

Synopsis: feature request: include structure/class alignment information into debugging section (stabs)

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: rth
State-Changed-When: Fri Oct 11 16:49:36 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Stabs does not support an alignment field.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8203