public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/8297: problem with preprocessor
@ 2002-10-20 23:44 zack
From: zack @ 2002-10-20 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, riteshg

Synopsis: problem with preprocessor

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: zack
State-Changed-When: Sun Oct 20 23:44:56 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Not a bug.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8297

* Re: c++/8297: problem with preprocessor
@ 2002-10-21 12:56 Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2002-10-21 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8297; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
To: Ritesh Goel <riteshg@pune.tcs.co.in>
Cc: zack@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/8297: problem with preprocessor
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:53:58 +0100

 Ritesh Goel wrote:-

 > Thanx for ur immediate response .
 >  I want to give comments in my program with using keyword "COMMENT"  not
 > with  // . that should be eliminated during preprocessing .
 >
 > as COMMENT  Line in comment
 > instead of
 > // Line in comment
 >
 > I tried to make it using #define but it  insert space between that with
 > version gcc3.0 .
 > It is doing that with previous versions . But there also in the preprocessed
 > output it is replacing that with // .
 > So when i am taking preprocessed output there, it is taking it as comment .
 > And all the comments should be removed in preprocessing . but it is not
 > doing that .
 >

 > I am not getting anyway to to do that . Can u help me in that .

 This is a Microsoft-ism that we will not duplicate.  There is no way
 to do what you want with standard C or C++.

 Neil.

* Re: c++/8297: problem with preprocessor
@ 2002-10-21  0:16 Ritesh Goel
From: Ritesh Goel @ 2002-10-21  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8297; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ritesh Goel" <riteshg@pune.tcs.co.in>
To: <zack@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<nobody@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>

@ 2002-10-20 23:46 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-10-20 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8297; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: riteshg@pune.tcs.co.in
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:42:52 -0700

 On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 05:46:30AM -0000, riteshg@pune.tcs.co.in wrote:
 > when i run
 >
 > #define comment /##/
 > comment
 >
 > the output is coming as space between twp front slash "/ /".
 > and it is supposed to come "//" . I am using gcc 3.0 . Till
 > older versions than gcc3.0 it is comming correctly as "//" .
 > And also in older version preprocessor is not processing the user
 > defined comments as
 >
 > #define comment /##/
 > comment
 >
 > when ran with -E option gives output in preprocessed file
 > as
 > //

 I'm sorry, but you have it backward.  The 2.x preprocessor was buggy;
 the behavior of the 3.0 and later preprocessor is correct.

 // is not a preprocessing token.  If it appears in source text, it
 introduces a line comment, which is stripped from the program _before_
 the text is broken into tokens.  Otherwise, it is simply two "/"
 tokens adjacent to each other.  You attempted to force the creation of
 a single token "//" with the ## operator.  This induces undefined
 behavior: GCC can do whatever it likes.  We choose to have it issue a
 warning and pretend there was no ## operator; thus, two "/" tokens are
 passed to the output routines.  They then have to insert a space, so
 that these two "/" tokens are not later misinterpreted as introducing
 a line comment.

 If you describe what you are actually trying to do, we may be able to
 offer advice on how to do it properly.

 zw

* c++/8297: problem with preprocessor
@ 2002-10-20 22:56 riteshg
From: riteshg @ 2002-10-20 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         8297
>Category:       c++
>Synopsis:       problem with preprocessor
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sun Oct 20 22:56:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Ritesh goel
>Release:        unknown-1.0
when i run

#define comment /##/
comment

the output is coming as space between twp front slash "/ /".
and it is supposed to come "//" . I am using gcc 3.0 . Till
older versions than gcc3.0 it is comming correctly as "//" .
And also in older version preprocessor is not processing the user defined comments as
#define comment /##/
comment
when ran with -E option gives output in preprocessed file
as
//

plzz check it