public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/2288: Variable declared in for-loop-header is in wrong scope
@ 2002-11-21  4:33 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-11-21  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdr; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/2288; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c++/2288: Variable declared in for-loop-header is in wrong scope
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:13:47 -0600 (CST)

 Still happens with recent CVS. A smaller, self-contained testcase is this:
 ------------------------
 void f(int);
 int main() {
    for (int i=0;;++i) {
      int i=5;
      f(i);
    }
    return 0;
 }
 -----------------------
 I don't get an error upon the second declaration of "i", although it
 should be in the same scope as that declared in the loop-header. If I use
 -Wshadow, it says
 x.cc: In function `int main()':
 x.cc:4: warning: declaration of `i' shadows a previous local
 x.cc:3: warning: shadowed declaration is here

 So one can assume that gcc generates two nested scopes for this construct,
 in the outer one those variables are placed which are declared in the loop
 header, in the inner one those go that are declared in the loop body. I
 think this is not the intent of the standard...

 The C frontend in gnu99 mode suffers from the same problem, by the way.

 Regards
   Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth

* Re: c++/2288: Variable declared in for-loop-header is in wrong scope
@ 2002-11-21  5:18 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-11-21  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdr; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/2288; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:14:23 +0000 (GMT)

 On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

 > The C frontend in gnu99 mode suffers from the same problem, by the way.

 Not a bug for C99.  See 6.8.5#5.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk