public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c/8754: Allows illegal code
@ 2002-12-04  4:26 Petter Reinholdtsen
From: Petter Reinholdtsen @ 2002-12-04  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/8754; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
To: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
  gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c/8754: Allows illegal code
Date: 04 Dec 2002 13:21:18 +0100

 [Volker Reichelt]
 > This is not overloading. You can do the following (which is also
 > accepted by SGI's compiler):
 >
 > int main()
 > {
 >    double main=3;
 >    return main;
 > }
 >
 > In your case the identifier main inside the outer function main is a
 > function, not a double. That's the only difference.

 OK.  So GCC is not an ANSI C compiler by default.  I would like it to
 be, but I realise the GCC developers do not want that at the moment.

 Could I request a warning by default in the case above, about the
 variable (or local function) hiding the symbol for the current
 function?

* Re: c/8754: Allows illegal code
@ 2003-01-11 14:36 Petter Reinholdtsen
From: Petter Reinholdtsen @ 2003-01-11 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
To: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
  nobody@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 11 Jan 2003 15:31:51 +0100

 [Phil Edwards]
 > > Could I request a warning by default in the case above, about the
 > > variable (or local function) hiding the symbol for the current
 > > function?
 >
 > It's already there:
 >
 >     fenric 8% gcc c.c -Wall

 I meant by default, like without any warning flags (gcc c.c).

* Re: c/8754: Allows illegal code
@ 2002-12-04  7:36 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-12-04  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/8754; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>
To: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:22:11 -0500

 On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:21:18PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
 > > int main()
 > > {
 > >    double main=3;
 > >    return main;
 > > }
 >
 > OK.  So GCC is not an ANSI C compiler by default.  I would like it to
 > be, but I realise the GCC developers do not want that at the moment.

 I don't believe ANSI/SIO rules have anything to do with this.

 > Could I request a warning by default in the case above, about the
 > variable (or local function) hiding the symbol for the current
 > function?

 It's already there:

     fenric 8% gcc c.c -Wall
     c.c: In function `main':
     c.c:4: warning: `main' is usually a function
     fenric 9%

                                                  - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: c/8754: Allows illegal code
@ 2002-12-04  4:46 Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2002-12-04  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/8754; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nathan Sidwell <nathan@codesourcery.com>
To: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:44:04 +0000

 Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

 > Could I request a warning by default in the case above, about the
 > variable (or local function) hiding the symbol for the current
 > function?
 -Wshadow

 nathan
 --
 Dr Nathan Sidwell   ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::   CodeSourcery LLC
           'But that's a lie.' - 'Yes it is. What's your point?'