public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* RE: c++/7934: definition of static member for template class miss ing in obj file
@ 2002-12-04  7:06 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-12-04  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/7934; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: "Gu, Michael" <Michael_Gu@maxtor.com>
Cc: "'gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org'" <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
   "'mkjyg@charter.net'" <mkjyg@charter.net>,
   "'gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org'" <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: RE: c++/7934: definition of static member for template class miss
 ing in obj file
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:00:11 -0600 (CST)

 > template <class T>
 > class A
 > {
 >   static T * instance;
 > };
 >
 > template <class T>
 > T * instance=0;

 Did you mean
   T * A::instance = 0;
 ?? The code you sent does not compile (and should not), and is also not
 what you want.

 > The same gcc on Sun works for this. So I guess this might be a library
 > problem for HP compatibility.

 Yes, maybe. I have seen another report in this form before.

 Regards
   Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth

* RE: c++/7934: definition of static member for template class miss ing in obj file
@ 2002-12-04  6:56 Gu, Michael
From: Gu, Michael @ 2002-12-04  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/7934; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Gu, Michael" <Michael_Gu@maxtor.com>
To: "'bangerth@dealii.org'" <bangerth@dealii.org>,
   "'gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org'" <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
   "'gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org'"
	 <gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>,
   "Gu, Michael" <Michael_Gu@Maxtor.com>,
   "'mkjyg@charter.net'" <mkjyg@charter.net>,
   "'nobody@gcc.gnu.org'"
	 <nobody@gcc.gnu.org>,
   "'gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org'" <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Cc: "'mkjyg@charter.net'" <mkjyg@charter.net>
	ing in obj file
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 07:41:04 -0700

 Wolfgang,

 My description was not detailed enough. Here is the code example:

 template <class T>
 class A
 {
   static T * instance;
 };

 template <class T>
 T * instance=0;

 Note all of the above codes are in a header file - I know this doesn't sound
 right, but on the other hand I don't have a better solution for this. This
 is not my code either.

 I guess the idea is that when the template class is used, the instance will
 be automatically defined.

 The same gcc on Sun works for this. So I guess this might be a library
 problem for HP compatibility.

 Michael