public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: java/8893: Local classes are named incorrectly
@ 2002-12-11  9:43 tromey
From: tromey @ 2002-12-11  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gbenson, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, java-prs, nobody, tromey

Synopsis: Local classes are named incorrectly

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->tromey
Responsible-Changed-By: tromey
Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Dec 11 09:43:50 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    I'm handling this
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: tromey
State-Changed-When: Wed Dec 11 09:43:50 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Reporter agrees it can be closed;
    new bug is 8899.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8893

* Re: java/8893: Local classes are named incorrectly
@ 2002-12-11  3:06 Gary Benson
From: Gary Benson @ 2002-12-11  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/8893; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gary Benson <gbenson@redhat.com>
To: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/8893: Local classes are named incorrectly
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:55:55 +0000

 I thought that this was causing a problem that I've been having but it
 seems that I was barking up the wrong tree.  The actual bug I was
 bitten by is now PR 8899; this one should be closed.

 Thanks,
 Gary

 [ gbenson@redhat.com ][ GnuPG 85A8F78B ][ http://inauspicious.org/ ]

* Re: java/8893: Local classes are named incorrectly
@ 2002-12-10 18:46 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-12-10 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/8893; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: gbenson@redhat.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 10 Dec 2002 19:38:26 -0700

 Gary> Number:         8893
 Gary> Category:       java
 Gary> Synopsis:       Local classes are named incorrectly

 Gary> The fix for PR 1343 is broken: although the names of local
 Gary> classes are prepended by a number, only one counter is used per
 Gary> source file.  For example, the following code:

 This does differ from Sun.  But are we required to name the local
 classes in a compatible way?  My understanding was that these names
 are visible only internally and thus the naming shouldn't matter.
 How is this affecting you?

 Tom

* Re: java/8893: Local classes are named incorrectly
@ 2002-12-10 11:36 Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2002-12-10 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/8893; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eric Blake <ebb9@email.byu.edu>
To: gbenson@redhat.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:22:44 -0700

 And how is this a bug?  As long as the names don't clash, they are not
 visible to classes outside the file.  There is no specification as to
 what names local and anonymous classes must be given, and it is left up
 to the compiler what naming scheme it will choose.

 --
 This signature intentionally left boring.

 Eric Blake             ebb9@email.byu.edu
    BYU student, free software programmer

* java/8893: Local classes are named incorrectly
@ 2002-12-10 10:26 gbenson
From: gbenson @ 2002-12-10 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         8893
>Category:       java
>Synopsis:       Local classes are named incorrectly
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Dec 10 10:26:08 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     gbenson@redhat.com
>Release:        gcc-3.2 patched for PR 1343
The fix for PR 1343 is broken: although the names of local classes are prepended by a number, only one counter is used per source file.  For example, the following code:

| public class Test {
|     public void func1() {
|         class Foo {
|         }
|         class Bar {
|         }
|     }
|     public void func2() {
|         class Foo {
|         }
|     }
| }

compiles to Test.class, Test$1$Foo.class, Test$2$Bar.class and Test$3$Foo.class instead of Test.class, Test$1$Foo.class, Test$1$Bar.class and Test$2$Foo.class.

>How-To-Repeat:
gcj Test.java # attached