public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/8964: 2 different templates mangled with the same name
@ 2002-12-16 13:06 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-12-16 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8964; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: catherin@ca.ibm.com
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c++/8964: 2 different templates mangled with the same name
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:05:23 -0600 (CST)

 > Do you know if the change for 3.3 was because of an ABI change ?

 Good question. The change was indeed incompatible, so this amounts to an
 ABI change. I will reopen the bug an mark it with high priority.

 Thanks for pointing this out
   Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth

* Re: c++/8964: 2 different templates mangled with the same name
@ 2002-12-16 13:06 catherin
From: catherin @ 2002-12-16 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8964; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: catherin@ca.ibm.com
To: bangerth@dealii.org, catherin@ca.ibm.com, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:57:59 -0500

 Do you know if the change for 3.3 was because of an ABI change ?

 -----
 Catherine Morton
 VAC++ Kernel Development
 catherin@ca.ibm.com
 (905) 413-4328

                       bangerth@dealii.o
                       rg                       To:       Catherine Morton/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
                                                 gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
                       12/16/2002 03:29         cc:
                       PM                       Subject:  Re: c++/8964: 2 different templates mangled with the same name
                       Please respond to
                       bangerth; Please
                       respond to
                       Catherine Morton;
                       Please respond to
                       gcc-bugs; Please
                       respond to
                       gcc-prs; Please
                       respond to
                       nobody; Please
                       respond to
                       gcc-gnats

 Synopsis: 2 different templates mangled with the same name

 State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
 State-Changed-By: bangerth
 State-Changed-When: Mon Dec 16 12:29:06 2002
 State-Changed-Why:
     This is already fixed in 3.3pre:
     tmp/g> /home/bangerth/bin/gcc-3.3-pre/bin/c++ -c x.cc
     tmp/g> nm x.o | /home/bangerth/bin/gcc-3.2/bin/c++filt
     00000000 W void foo<A>(XX<int, (int)3>::X)
     00000000 W void foo<A>(XX<int, (int)4>::X)
              U __gxx_personality_v0
     00000000 T main

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8964

* Re: c++/8964: 2 different templates mangled with the same name
@ 2002-12-16 12:29 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-16 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: catherin, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

@ 2002-12-16 11:56 catherin
From: catherin @ 2002-12-16 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         8964
>Category:       c++
>Synopsis:       2 different templates mangled with the same name
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Dec 16 11:56:01 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Catherine Morton
>Release:        g++ 3.2
// -------- c.cpp ---------

struct bus{};
template < class T,int I > struct A
{
  typedef bus X;
};

template<class T> struct A<T,3>
{
  typedef char X;
};

template <template <class B,int I> class XX> void foo(typename XX<int,3>::X a){}
template <template <class B,int I> class XX> void foo(typename XX<int,4>::X a){}

int main()
{
  //A<int> x;
  struct bus test;
  foo<A>('x');
  foo<A>(test);
}

g++ c.cpp

/nfs/protoss/home/catherin/tmp/ccjWv8pa.s: Assembler messages:
/nfs/protoss/home/catherin/tmp/ccjWv8pa.s:59: Error: symbol `_Z3fooI1AEvN2XX1XE' is already defined

template arguments for template template paramater XX
are not part of the mangled name
_Z3fooI1AEvN2XX1XE

So both instances of foo are mangled with the same name
>How-To-Repeat:
g++ c.cpp