public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c/7654: -Wenum-assignment : Warn if an enum is being assigned a non enum value
@ 2002-12-20 21:50 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-20 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: -Wenum-assignment : Warn if an enum is being assigned a non enum value

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Fri Dec 20 21:50:51 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    I think your proposal is not very much in the spirit of the
    C language, and I doubt that anyone will want to implement
    it. enums are too much used interchangably with integers
    that such an enum would be useful. Note that enums also
    appear all over the place in system header files!

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7654

* Re: c/7654: -Wenum-assignment : Warn if an enum is being assigned a non enum value
@ 2003-01-03 23:08 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-01-03 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: -Wenum-assignment : Warn if an enum is being assigned a non enum value

State-Changed-From-To: closed->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Fri Jan  3 15:08:32 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Reopened based on Andrew's comment. For the general question
    what to do with reports like this one, see the mail titled
    "Subjective opinion on PRs" that just went to the gcc-bugs
    list.

    Regards
      Wolfgang

@ 2003-01-02 14:06 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-01-02 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/7654; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, ac131313@redhat.com, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c/7654: -Wenum-assignment : Warn if an enum is being assigned
 a non enum value
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 14:04:38 +0000

 > Synopsis: -Wenum-assignment : Warn if an enum is being assigned a non enum value
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
 > State-Changed-By: bangerth
 > State-Changed-When: Fri Dec 20 21:50:51 2002
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     I think your proposal is not very much in the spirit of the
 >     C language, and I doubt that anyone will want to implement
 >     it. enums are too much used interchangably with integers
 >     that such an enum would be useful. Note that enums also
 >     appear all over the place in system header files!
 >
 > http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7654

 The above is largely subjective opinion.  Subjective opinion is not a
 reason for closing an enhancement request.

 Andrew