public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: other/8947: Please add a Warning about "-malign-double" in docs
@ 2003-01-08  1:25 janis
From: janis @ 2003-01-08  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, janis, nobody, norbert_wolff

Synopsis: Please add a Warning about "-malign-double" in docs

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->janis
Responsible-Changed-By: janis
Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Jan  7 17:25:05 2003
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: janis
State-Changed-When: Tue Jan  7 17:25:05 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    fixed in mainline (3.4), 3.3 branch, and 3.2 branch

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8947

* Re: other/8947: Please add a Warning about "-malign-double" in docs
@ 2003-01-04  2:36 Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-01-04  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/8947; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
To: Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, norbert_wolff@t-online.de
Subject: Re: other/8947: Please add a Warning about "-malign-double" in docs
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:27:13 -0500

 On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 03:55:05PM -0800, Janis Johnson wrote:
 > The mainline version of install.texi includes the following
 > after the description of -malign-double:
 >
 >   @strong{Warning:} if you use the @samp{-malign-double}
 >   switch, structures containing the above types will be
 >   aligned differently than the published application binary
 >   interface specifications for the 386.
 >
 > If that's not strong enough, we could also add:
 >
 >   Code compiled with @option{-malign-double} is not binary
 >   compatible with code compiled without that switch.
 >
 > Similar language is now used for warnings about several
 > other options.

 I think that your proposed addition is exactly what we should say about
 this; it's much clearer to the layperson.

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: other/8947: Please add a Warning about "-malign-double" in docs
@ 2003-01-03 23:56 Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2003-01-03 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/8947; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
   nobody@gcc.gnu.org, norbert_wolff@t-online.de
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 15:55:05 -0800

@ 2003-01-03 23:26 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-01-03 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/8947; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: Norbert Wolff <norbert_wolff@t-online.de>
Cc: glibc-bug-reports-2.3.1@gnu.org, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 17:23:17 -0600 (CST)

 Norbert,
 I fear I don't understand much of the issue, but do I understand it
 correctly that glibc is using assumptions about gcc's behavior that are
 only valid of -malign-double is _not_ used?

 Thinking more about your request, I believe that it is more appropriate to
 document this in the glibc pages (or fix the behavior in glibc), since we
 can impossibly list requirements like this on the gcc page (for which out
 of the zillion projcets out there should we document them?).

 If you agree with this, I'd like to close the gcc report and ask you to
 file a report against glibc about this.

 Thanks
   Wolfgang

 On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Norbert Wolff wrote:

 > Subject:        stat-calls fail with certain gcc-switches
 > >Submitter-Id:  net
 > >Confidential:  no
 > >Synopsis:      Problems with stat-calls and "-malign-double"
 > >Severity:      critical
 >
 > >   Please add a note in your docs that is not possible to compile
 > >    the GNU-libc (i tried it with 2.3.1) with the options
 > >    "-malign-double" and/or "-m128bit-long-double".
 > >
 > >    The increased aligment of long doubles caused by this switches
 > >    crashes the calculations in glibc-2.3.1/io/fts.c,
 > >    so every call of one of the stat-functions will fail...
 >

 >  On 21 Dec 2002 17:40:22 -0000
 >  bangerth@dealii.org wrote:
 >
 > >     Can you give any indications as to what exactly goes wrong?
 > >     It is not very helpful just to document that some option
 > >     might not work in some circumstances. I think it would be
 > >     much better if we actually _fixed_ the problem that was
 > >     causing the problem.
 >
 >  Hi Wolfgang,
 >
 >  In the glibc-sources the alignment of long doubles is used
 >  to calculate the fts_statp component of the FTSENT
 >
 >    ---------------------------- file: io/fts.c
 >
 >    /* Largest alignment size needed, minus one.
 >      Usually long double is the worst case.  */
 >    #ifndef ALIGNBYTES
 >    #define ALIGNBYTES	(__alignof__ (long double) - 1)
 >    #endif
 >    /* Align P to that size.  */
 >    #ifndef ALIGN
 >    #define	ALIGN(p)	(((unsigned long int) (p) + ALIGNBYTES) & ~ALIGNBYTES)
 >    #endif

 >    static FTSENT *
 >    internal_function
 >    fts_alloc(sp, name, namelen)
 >  	FTS *sp;
 >  	const char *name;
 > 	register int namelen;
 >    {
 >  	register FTSENT *p;
 > 	size_t len;
 >
 > 	len = sizeof(FTSENT) + namelen;
 > 	if (!ISSET(FTS_NOSTAT))
 > 		len += sizeof(struct stat) + ALIGNBYTES;
 > 	if ((p = malloc(len)) == NULL)
 > 		return (NULL);
 >
 > 	memmove(p->fts_name, name, namelen);
 > 	p->fts_name[namelen] = '\0';
 >
 > 	if (!ISSET(FTS_NOSTAT))
 > 		p->fts_statp = (struct stat *)ALIGN(p->fts_name + namelen + 2);
 >
 >     ----------------------------
 >
 >  I dont understand what long doubles have to do with stat-calls,
 >  but when you increase the alignment of them to 16 instead of 4, which is
 >  one consequence of the gcc-switches
 >    "-malign-double" and/or "-m128bit-long-double"
 >  every stat-call will fail with errno set to EOVERFLOW.
 >
 >  I agree with you that it would be better to _fix_ the problem, than
 >  adding a note in the docs, but that is a job for the glibc-people,
 >  as gcc creates correct code.
 >
 >  I have send a copy of this mail to the glibc-buglist and hope for the
 >  best...
 >
 >  Thanks,
 >    Norbert

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth

* Re: other/8947: Please add a Warning about "-malign-double" in docs
@ 2002-12-21  9:40 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-21  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, norbert_wolff

Synopsis: Please add a Warning about "-malign-double" in docs

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Sat Dec 21 09:40:22 2002
State-Changed-Why: