public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* other/9245: Loop commands should return a value if they are aborted
@ 2003-01-09 15:56 ville_jungman
From: ville_jungman @ 2003-01-09 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats; +Cc: Loop-commands, should, return, a, value, if, they, are, aborted

>Number:         9245
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       Loop commands should return a value if they are aborted
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jan 09 07:56:01 PST 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Ville Jungman
>Release:        unknown-1.0
Wouldn't it be nice if loop commands (while, for etc) returned a value. The value is often needed if the loop is aborted. I mean:

--------------------------------------

if(
   for(i=0;;i++){
      if(i == 5)break;
   }
){
  printf("Loop didn't finish!");
}

--------------------------------------

This is needed very often when you'd like to exit the loop, so I consider this might not be a bug improvement  - but a nice feature.

Regards, Ville
-
?
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: other/9245: Loop commands should return a value if they are aborted
@ 2003-03-15 18:53 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-15 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loop-commands, should, return, a, value, if, they, are, aborted,
	gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, ville_jungman

Synopsis: Loop commands should return a value if they are aborted

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Sat Mar 15 18:53:51 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    I think the present mood is very much against random extension
    to the language. If you think that your proposal is a good
    idea, try to take it to the respective standard committees
    and ask them to consider things. If approved, gcc will
    then certainly integrate this.

    W.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=9245