public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* c/9569: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
@ 2003-02-04 13:36 stefaandr
From: stefaandr @ 2003-02-04 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         9569
>Category:       c
>Synopsis:       8 bytes seems to long for long long int
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          rejects-legal
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Feb 04 13:36:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     stefaandr@hotmail.com
>Release:        gcc version 3.4 20030204 (experimental)
compile this code:

int main() {
	long long int x = 0x0123456789abcdef;
};

it gives:
test6.cpp: In function `int main()':
test6.cpp:2: error: integer constant is too large for "long" type
>How-To-Repeat:
compile code contained in description
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: c/9569: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
@ 2003-02-06  7:36 Segher Boessenkool
From: Segher Boessenkool @ 2003-02-06  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aj; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/9569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Segher Boessenkool <segher@koffie.nl>
To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>,
	Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>, aj@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, stefaandr@hotmail.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c/9569: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 07:12:02 +0100

 Falk Hueffner wrote:

 > I still don't get it. In C99, this is perfectly legal code, and does
 > what the reporter wants. It is of course documented nowhere, but I
 > would assume that g++ inherits C99's long long semantics if long long
 > is enabled. Why not this part?

 Apart from the C vs. C++ issue, GCC is not a C99 compiler
 by default, you have to pass -std=c99 or similar.

 I wouldn't mind if this changed...

 Segher

* Re: c/9569: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
@ 2003-02-06  7:06 Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2003-02-06  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aj; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/9569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de>, aj@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, stefaandr@hotmail.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 06:59:24 +0000

 Joseph S. Myers wrote:-

 > On 6 Feb 2003, Falk Hueffner wrote:
 >
 > > I still don't get it. In C99, this is perfectly legal code, and does
 > > what the reporter wants. It is of course documented nowhere, but I
 > > would assume that g++ inherits C99's long long semantics if long long
 > > is enabled. Why not this part?
 >
 > C++98 is stricter than C90 about integer constants.  _Explicitly_ using
 > long long is one thing (accepted as an extension by the C++ compiler),
 > _implicitly_ using it (by having too large an integer constant without a
 > suffix) is another.  The behaviour may or may not be as intended; that's
 > for the C++ maintainers to work out.

 I suggest the PR be re-opened then.

 Neil.

* Re: c/9569: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
@ 2003-02-06  0:16 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2003-02-06  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aj; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/9569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>,  <aj@gcc.gnu.org>,
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 00:06:25 +0000 (GMT)

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: c/9569: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
@ 2003-02-06  0:06 Falk Hueffner
From: Falk Hueffner @ 2003-02-06  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aj; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/9569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>,  <aj@gcc.gnu.org>,
Date: 06 Feb 2003 00:59:37 +0100

@ 2003-02-05 23:46 Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2003-02-05 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aj; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/9569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: aj@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, stefaandr@hotmail.com,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:39:02 +0000

 Joseph S. Myers wrote:-

 > On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Neil Booth wrote:
 >
 > > Could you justify that, or re-open the bug report?
 >
 > Note that the bug report is actually a C++ bug report in the wrong
 > category, and C++ doesn't have long long, and in the C++ compiler pedwarns
 > (those that are enabled by default) are errors by default.

 Great, thanks for the explanation.

 Neil.

* Re: c/9569: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
@ 2003-02-05 22:56 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2003-02-05 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aj; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/9569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
Cc: <aj@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,  <stefaandr@hotmail.com>,
     <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:48:03 +0000 (GMT)

@ 2003-02-05 21:06 Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2003-02-05 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aj; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/9569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
To: aj@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	nobody@gcc.gnu.org, stefaandr@hotmail.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:56:45 +0000

@ 2003-02-04 18:36 Falk Hueffner
From: Falk Hueffner @ 2003-02-04 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aj; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/9569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
To: aj@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,  nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
	  stefaandr@hotmail.com,  gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 04 Feb 2003 17:09:21 +0100

 aj@gcc.gnu.org writes:

 > Synopsis: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
 >
 > Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->aj
 > Responsible-Changed-By: aj
 > Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Feb  4 14:37:46 2003
 > Responsible-Changed-Why:
 >     Taking it.
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
 > State-Changed-By: aj
 > State-Changed-When: Tue Feb  4 14:37:46 2003
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     The program is broken, add LL to the constant to get
 >     a long long constant.

 Huh? The C standard says: "The type of an integer constant is the
 first of the corresponding list in which its value can be
 represented." That would make the constant long long without any
 suffixes.

 The C++ standard doesn't have long long at all, but I would think the
 same semantics should be applied here, anything else would be silly.

 --
 	Falk

* Re: c/9569: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
@ 2003-02-04 14:37 aj
From: aj @ 2003-02-04 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aj, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, stefaandr

Synopsis: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->aj
Responsible-Changed-By: aj
Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Feb  4 14:37:46 2003
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Taking it.
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: aj
State-Changed-When: Tue Feb  4 14:37:46 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    The program is broken, add LL to the constant to get
    a long long constant.

    Andreas

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=9569

* Re: c/9569: 8 bytes seems to long for long long int
@ 2003-02-04 14:36 Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2003-02-04 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/9569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>
To: stefaandr@hotmail.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 15:35:34 +0100

 stefaandr@hotmail.com writes:

 >>Number:         9569
 >>Category:       c
 >>Synopsis:       8 bytes seems to long for long long int

 > [...]

 > int main() {
 > 	long long int x = 0x0123456789abcdef;

 0x0123456789abcdef is a const of type int, if you want, a long long
 constant, append LL,

 Andreas

 Andreas
 --