public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* libstdc++/9615: STL  classes are not in the std namespace
@ 2003-02-07 17:36 khenry
From: khenry @ 2003-02-07 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         9615
>Category:       libstdc++
>Synopsis:       STL  classes are not in the std namespace
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Feb 07 17:36:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Kevin Henry
>Release:        3.2.1
In 3.2.1, you have moved many of the STL classes into your own namespace, __gnu_cxx, which should be in the std namespace.  Also, they are not in the standard include directory, but rather in multiple subdirectories, including 'ext'.

This makes writing portable code impossible.  I need to be able to use the STL code on Windows, Linux (6.2, 8.0), HPUX, and Solaris.

The STL classes should be in their standard locations (as specified by SGI) so that STL is, in fact, STANDARD.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: libstdc++/9615: STL  classes are not in the std namespace
@ 2003-02-07 19:56 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-02-07 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/9615; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>
To: Kevin Henry <kevin.henry@amdocs.com>
Cc: paolo@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, khenry@amdocs.com,
   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc++/9615: STL  classes are not in the std namespace
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:46:19 -0500

 On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:10:05PM -0600, Kevin Henry wrote:

 > I will not get into a shouting match over your definition of standard.

 You don't have to.  The one from ISO is the only one that counts.

     http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/

 And that's what we implement.

 Phil

                                                  - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: libstdc++/9615: STL  classes are not in the std namespace
@ 2003-02-07 18:26 Paolo Carlini
From: Paolo Carlini @ 2003-02-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/9615; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Paolo Carlini <pcarlini@unitus.it>
To: Kevin Henry <kevin.henry@amdocs.com>
Cc: paolo@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
 khenry@amdocs.com,  nobody@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:18:35 +0100

 Kevin Henry wrote:

 >It's not decided by SGI 'a few days ago', as you say.

 Sorry for the typo, I really meant "a few years ago".

 Unfortunately for you we implement the one and only standard in force
 for the C++ language and its library. Please look at it and will
 discover that all those parts of the original STL library which where
 accepted for inclusion in the standard are where they should be.

 Paolo.

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=9615

* RE: libstdc++/9615: STL  classes are not in the std namespace
@ 2003-02-07 18:16 Kevin Henry
From: Kevin Henry @ 2003-02-07 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/9615; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kevin Henry <kevin.henry@amdocs.com>
To: paolo@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
   khenry@amdocs.com, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:10:05 -0600

 --=_IS_MIME_Boundary

 It's not decided by SGI 'a few days ago', as you say.  It's in the STLPort4 code from last February as being in that location, in Microsoft's STL provided with MSVC 6.0 (from '96?)  All other platforms have these STL portions in the std namespace, and because of these changes, STL on gcc3.x.x is useless!  STL was originally conceived by SGI, not as part of the C++ standard.  The changes that have been made to the compiler make it impossible for me to use STLPort4 instead of the supplied STL.

 I will not get into a shouting match over your definition of standard.

 Thanks for your lack of help.

 Kevin

 --=_IS_MIME_Boundary

 Thank you.

 --=_IS_MIME_Boundary--

* Re: libstdc++/9615: STL  classes are not in the std namespace
@ 2003-02-07 17:45 paolo