public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: ada/5911: Ada runtime and utilities should be broken out to their own directory
@ 2003-03-12 21:17 neroden
From: neroden @ 2003-03-12 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, zack

Synopsis: Ada runtime and utilities should be broken out to their own directory

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: neroden
State-Changed-When: Wed Mar 12 21:17:37 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    This is a well-understood change request; it causes endless irritations with the build process.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=5911

* Re: ada/5911: Ada runtime and utilities should be broken out to their own directory
@ 2002-03-11  2:36 Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-03-11  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR ada/5911; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
To: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: ada/5911: Ada runtime and utilities should be broken out to
 their own directory
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:29:03 +0100

 Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

 >> For the build, we should use another separate directory, IMHO.
 >
 > I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean here.

 Sorry, s/build/tools/ (such as gnatmake; gnatbind has to be built
 during compiler bootstrap, together with gnat1).

* Re: ada/5911: Ada runtime and utilities should be broken out to their own directory
@ 2002-03-11  2:16 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-03-11  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR ada/5911; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: ada/5911: Ada runtime and utilities should be broken out to their own directory
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:07:27 -0800

 On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 10:47:15PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
 > zack@codesourcery.com writes:
 >
 > > The location of the Ada runtime and utilities is inconsistent
 > > with the location of all other language runtimes.  They
 > > should be moved to their own toplevel subdirectory, and their
 > > build harness brought into line with the other languages.
 >
 > For technical reasons, the GNAT front end is built using the run-time
 > library sources which come with the compiler sources, and not using
 > the installed GNAT run-time library on the host system.

 I'm aware of this.

 > However, there is no reason why a large part of the run-time library
 > could not be moved to a separate directory.

 In fact, I don't see any reason why it should inhibit moving all of
 it.  gcc/ada/Make-lang.in can just reference the files from
 $(srcdir)/../libada/.

 > For the build, we should use another separate directory, IMHO.

 I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean here.

 zw

* Re: ada/5911: Ada runtime and utilities should be broken out to their own directory
@ 2002-03-11  2:06 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-03-11  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR ada/5911; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:04:51 -0800

 On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 07:05:13PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

 > Since the present system means that the Ada libraries aren't properly
 > built in multilib variants, this should be considered an actual serious
 > bug, not just a low-priority change-request.

 Didn't realize that.  Good point.  (I don't think it's a release
 blocker, though, even if Ada is considered part of the release.)

 zw

* Re: ada/5911: Ada runtime and utilities should be broken out to their own directory
@ 2002-03-10 13:56 Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-03-10 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR ada/5911; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
To: zack@codesourcery.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
 their own directory
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:47:15 +0100

 zack@codesourcery.com writes:

 > The location of the Ada runtime and utilities is inconsistent
 > with the location of all other language runtimes.  They
 > should be moved to their own toplevel subdirectory, and their
 > build harness brought into line with the other languages.

 For technical reasons, the GNAT front end is built using the run-time
 library sources which come with the compiler sources, and not using
 the installed GNAT run-time library on the host system.  In other
 words, the compiler depends on a (rather small) subset of the run-time
 library sources.

 However, there is no reason why a large part of the run-time library
 could not be moved to a separate directory.  For the build, we should

@ 2002-03-10 11:06 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-03-10 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR ada/5911; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <zack@codesourcery.com>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
 their own directory
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:05:13 +0000 (GMT)

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* ada/5911: Ada runtime and utilities should be broken out to their own directory
@ 2002-03-10 10:46 zack
From: zack @ 2002-03-10 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats