public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Kinh Nguyen <xkinh@yahoo.com>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: bootstrap/9889: installation gcc 3.2.2 fails on Solaris 2.8
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/9889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kinh Nguyen <xkinh@yahoo.com>
To: "Steven M. Christensen" <steve@smc.vnet.net>, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
  gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, bangerth@dealii.org,
  gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:33:49 -0800 (PST)

 Hi,
 Finally I could compile and install GCC3.2.2 on my Sun
 running Solaris 8, 64 bits multi-proccessor.  The main
 problem is:
   I am using GCC version 2.8.1.  When GCC compiles
 under sub directory
 ../sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libstdc++-v3 I believe it runs
 configure command.  The configure program looks for
 Thead mode using the following statements:
 ------
   echo $ac_n "checking for thread model used by
 GCC""... $ac_c" 1>&6
 echo "configure:3868: checking for thread model used
 by GCC" >&5
   target_thread_file=`$CC -v 2>&1 | sed -n 's/^Thread
 model: //p'`
   echo "$ac_t""$target_thread_file" 1>&6
 ----------
  In the old version of GCC (version 2.8.1), gcc -v
 doesn't display line "Thread Mode" so configure
 program aborts.
    I installed gnu make, and using set CONFIG_SHELL to
 /bin/ksh to compile.  The problem cound be SUN make
 and SUN sh shell as Steve mentions.  When I have
 chance I will test it again.

    Another problems when I install using
      make install
 The installation when it is looking for install-sh
 when install sub-directories:
     boehm-gc, sparcv9/include and so on
 It's easy to fix using ln -s, but it's better to
 install without any problem.

 Hope to provide you some information that make GCC
 better (I love gnu software).  Thanks you very much
 for your help.

 regards,
 Kinh

 --- "Steven M. Christensen" <steve@smc.vnet.net>