public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: driver/9822: The "%c" spec option produces: gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'c'
@ 2003-03-14  2:23 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-14  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bradley-gnu, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: The "%c" spec option produces: gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'c'

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Fri Mar 14 02:23:28 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Neil already gave kind of an explanation

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=9822

* Re: driver/9822: The "%c" spec option produces: gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'c'
@ 2003-02-24  7:16 Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2003-02-24  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR driver/9822; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
To: bradley-gnu@bradley.lcs.mit.edu
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: driver/9822: The "%c" spec option produces: gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'c'
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:02:51 +0000

 bradley-gnu@bradley.lcs.mit.edu wrote:-

 > I tried to write a spec file that used the %c option, but it is no longer accepted by the driver.  The error is printed by line 5234 of gcc.c.

 It's been removed as it is not necessary.

 > The gcc.info documentation says that %c is accepted, however:
 > > `%c'
 > >     Process the `signed_char' spec.  This is intended to be used to
 > >     tell cpp whether a char is signed.  It typically has the
 > >     definition:
 > >          %{funsigned-char:-D__CHAR_UNSIGNED__}
 >
 > This is probably a documentation bug, rather than a code bug.

 I think so.

 > The documentation on the spec files seems quite out-of-date.
 > For example, I cannot figure out, from the documentation, what does this entry mean in the spec file.
 >  %{fsigned-char&unsigned-char}

 That's documented in gcc.c.  I'm not sure why SPECS have been
 documented, they're really an internal thing in a constant state of
 flux.

 -fsigned-char or -funsigned-char should be all you need.

 Neil.

* driver/9822: The "%c" spec option produces: gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'c'
@ 2003-02-24  6:36 bradley-gnu
From: bradley-gnu @ 2003-02-24  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats