public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: middle-end/5419: ICE when compiling Linux kernel's kernel/sched.c on ia64
@ 2003-03-14 22:31 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-14 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davidm, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: ICE when compiling Linux kernel's kernel/sched.c on ia64

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Fri Mar 14 22:31:01 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Seems fixed.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=5419

* Re: middle-end/5419: ICE when compiling Linux kernel's kernel/sched.c on ia64
@ 2003-03-14 23:06 David Mosberger
From: David Mosberger @ 2003-03-14 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR middle-end/5419; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
Cc: davidm@hpl.hp.com, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: middle-end/5419: ICE when compiling Linux kernel's kernel/sched.c
 on ia64
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:56:57 -0800

   Wolfgang> The testcase in the PR seems corrupted: the text field
   Wolfgang> into which it was pasted ends with an unterminated line of
   Wolfgang> code -- likely that the buffer of your OS was overflowing
   Wolfgang> while copy-pasting.

   >>  Not a likely explanation,

   Wolfgang> Believe it or not, but this is what is happening to me all
   Wolfgang> the time when I am trying to copy overlong text snippets
   Wolfgang> from text fields in gnats into my editor... ;-)

 It's not likely because (a) I'm using emacs and (b) I don't
 copy-and-paste (I directly inserted the file into the buffer).

   Wolfgang> Whatever the reason, let's go with the consequences.

 Yup.

 	--david

* Re: middle-end/5419: ICE when compiling Linux kernel's kernel/sched.c on ia64
@ 2003-03-14 22:56 David Mosberger
From: David Mosberger @ 2003-03-14 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR middle-end/5419; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
Cc: davidm@hpl.hp.com, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
 on ia64
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:48:34 -0800

   Wolfgang> The testcase in the PR seems corrupted: the text field
   Wolfgang> into which it was pasted ends with an unterminated line of
   Wolfgang> code -- likely that the buffer of your OS was overflowing
   Wolfgang> while copy-pasting.

 Not a likely explanation, but yes, let's assume it has been fixed.

 	--david

* Re: middle-end/5419: ICE when compiling Linux kernel's kernel/sched.c on ia64
@ 2003-03-14 22:56 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-03-14 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR middle-end/5419; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: davidm@hpl.hp.com
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
 on ia64
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:52:38 -0600 (CST)

 >   Wolfgang> The testcase in the PR seems corrupted: the text field
 >   Wolfgang> into which it was pasted ends with an unterminated line of
 >   Wolfgang> code -- likely that the buffer of your OS was overflowing
 >   Wolfgang> while copy-pasting.
 >
 > Not a likely explanation,

 Believe it or not, but this is what is happening to me all the time when I
 am trying to copy overlong text snippets from text fields in gnats into my
 editor... ;-)

 Whatever the reason, let's go with the consequences.

 W.

 Wolfgang Bangerth             email:            bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: middle-end/5419: ICE when compiling Linux kernel's kernel/sched.c on ia64
@ 2003-03-14 22:36 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-03-14 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR middle-end/5419; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: davidm@hpl.hp.com
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
 on ia64
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:29:18 -0600 (CST)

 > I suspect the bug has been fixed.  gcc-3.2 and later seem to compile
 > sched.c just fine.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find an easy way to
 > extract the test-case from the bug report.  Otherwise, I'd be happy to
 > rerun the exact test to verify that it's gone for sure.

 The testcase in the PR seems corrupted: the text field into which it was
 pasted ends with an unterminated line of code -- likely that the buffer of
 your OS was overflowing while copy-pasting.

 Let's go with your assumption that it's fixed. I'll close the report in a
 minute.

@ 2003-03-14 22:16 David Mosberger
From: David Mosberger @ 2003-03-14 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR middle-end/5419; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, davidm@hpl.hp.com, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: middle-end/5419: ICE when compiling Linux kernel's kernel/sched.c on ia64
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:13:32 -0800

@ 2003-03-14 21:37 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-14 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davidm, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: ICE when compiling Linux kernel's kernel/sched.c on ia64

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Fri Mar 14 21:37:25 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    I don't have such a machine myself, but there has been a lot
    of work on the IA64, so allow the question: is this rather
    old report still valid for present versions of gcc?

    Thanks
      Wolfgang

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=5419