public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: target/9843: [HPUX] -static still leaves the linker looking f or  shl_*
@ 2003-03-19 19:56 law
From: law @ 2003-03-19 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danglin; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/9843; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: law@redhat.com
To: "BONNER,MATT (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <matt.bonner@hp.com>
Cc: "'John David Anglin'" <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>, danglin@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: target/9843: [HPUX] -static still leaves the linker looking f or
 shl_*
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:53:45 -0700

 In message <A134E2426B46D711BB4B000347AE6E7C76EBBE@xvan02.vcd.hp.com>, "BONNER,
 MATT (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" writes:
> [...]
 Because it's impossible to build a true static executable on hpux11.
 jeff

* RE: target/9843: [HPUX] -static still leaves the linker looking f or  shl_*
@ 2003-03-19 19:16 BONNER,MATT (HP-Vancouver,ex1)
From: BONNER,MATT (HP-Vancouver,ex1) @ 2003-03-19 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danglin; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/9843; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "BONNER,MATT (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <matt.bonner@hp.com>
To: "'law@redhat.com'" <law@redhat.com>
Cc: 'John David Anglin' <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>,
	danglin@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: RE: target/9843: [HPUX] -static still leaves the linker looking f
	 or  shl_*
 >>  >Maybe all is still not well.  When I move an executable compiled with
 >>  >all this stuff from an HP-UX 11 machine to an HP-UX machine, I get
 >>  >
 >>  >/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: /usr/lib/libdld.2
 >>  >/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
 >>  >IOT trap
 >>  >
 >>  >I'm hunting around as I write this, but if you know what I'm doing
 >>  >wrong now, please let me know.  Or if the answer is "You can't run
 >>  >11 executables on 10." :-)
 >>
 >> You can't run hpux11 executables on an hpux10 system.

 Okay.  Bummer.  However, I'm still confused.  I thought all these -Wl,-E,+n
 commands were to link statically.  Why, then, is the executable looking for
 shared library libdld.2?

 thanks,
 Matt

* Re: target/9843: [HPUX] -static still leaves the linker looking f or  shl_*
@ 2003-03-19 18:46 law
From: law @ 2003-03-19 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danglin; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/9843; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: law@redhat.com
To: "BONNER,MATT (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <matt.bonner@hp.com>
Cc: "'John David Anglin'" <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>, danglin@gcc.gnu.org,
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:42:58 -0700

@ 2003-03-19 18:36 BONNER,MATT (HP-Vancouver,ex1)
From: BONNER,MATT (HP-Vancouver,ex1) @ 2003-03-19 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danglin; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/9843; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "BONNER,MATT (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <matt.bonner@hp.com>
To: 'John David Anglin' <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
Cc: danglin@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
	or shl_*
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:35:07 -0500

 Hmmm...

 Maybe all is still not well.  When I move an executable compiled with
 all this stuff from an HP-UX 11 machine to an HP-UX machine, I get

 /usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: /usr/lib/libdld.2
 /usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
 IOT trap

 I'm hunting around as I write this, but if you know what I'm doing
 wrong now, please let me know.  Or if the answer is "You can't run
 11 executables on 10." :-)

 thanks in advance,
 Matt