public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/10152: members of nested class granted special access to enclosing class
@ 2003-03-19 20:56 Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2003-03-19 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10152; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net>
To: dbaron@dbaron.org
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/10152: members of nested class granted special access to enclosing class
Date: 19 Mar 2003 21:47:19 +0100

 dbaron@dbaron.org writes:

 [...]

 | Contrary to the C++ standard, section 11.8, clause 1, gcc grants nested classes special access privileges to members of their enclosing class.

 This is not a bug.  GCC implements the resolution of DR 45

   http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_defects.html#45

 -- Gaby

* Re: c++/10152: members of nested class granted special access to enclosing class
@ 2003-03-20  2:13 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-20  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dbaron, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: members of nested class granted special access to enclosing class

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Thu Mar 20 02:13:42 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Gaby already correctly said why.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10152

* c++/10152: members of nested class granted special access to enclosing class
@ 2003-03-19 16:06 dbaron
From: dbaron @ 2003-03-19 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         10152
>Category:       c++
>Synopsis:       members of nested class granted special access to enclosing class
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          accepts-illegal
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Mar 19 16:06:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     dbaron@dbaron.org
>Release:        gcc 3.2.2
>Environment:

Contrary to the C++ standard, section 11.8, clause 1, gcc grants nested classes special access privileges to members of their enclosing class.

This bug is present both in gcc 3.2.2 and in the gcc 3.3 branch from February 10.  Based on a different testcase (in Mozilla source), I believe the bug is also present in egcs, gcc 2.95, etc.

The following is a simplified variant of the example given in C++ 11.8 clause 1, which compiles with "g++ -ansi -pedantic" even though it contains an error:

----------
/*
 * This is a reduced form of the example in C++ 11.8,
 * clause 1, which says that "The members of a nested
 * class have no special access to members of an
 * enclosing class.
 */

class E {
    class B {};

    class I {
        B b; // error: E::B is private
    };
};

int main()
{
    return 1;
}
>How-To-Repeat:
Compile above example with "g++ -ansi -pedantic".