public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: optimization/6956: when the given code is compiled with optimization > 0, it fails
@ 2003-03-22 23:06 Rich Herrick
From: Rich Herrick @ 2003-03-22 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR optimization/6956; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Rich Herrick" <spamjunk@stny.rr.com>
To: <bangerth@dealii.org>, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <nobody@gcc.gnu.org>, <spamjunk@stny.rr.com>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: optimization/6956: when the given code is compiled with optimization > 0, it fails
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:58:54 -0500

 I believe the problem is fixed in the latest version of gcc.

 Thanks!

From: bangerth @ 2003-03-24 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, spamjunk

Synopsis: when the given code is compiled with optimization > 0, it fails

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Mon Mar 24 15:14:44 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Apparently fixed

@ 2003-03-22 17:49 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-22 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, spamjunk

@ 2002-06-07  7:46 spamjunk
From: spamjunk @ 2002-06-07  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         6956
>Category:       optimization
>Synopsis:       when the given code is compiled with optimization > 0, it fails
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Jun 07 07:45:59 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     spamjunk@stny.rr.com
>Release:        unknown-1.0
#include <cstdio>
using namespace std;

template<class T, int I>
struct A {
    A() {}
    typedef T array[I];
    struct B {
        array a;
    };
    static B X()
    {
        const B b = {{0, 0, 5}};
        return b;
    }
};

typedef A<int, 5> C;

int main()
{
    printf("%d\n", C::X().a[2]);
    return 0;
}

This code fails with optimization turned on.  If b is made a static constant, it doesn't fail.