public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: debug/5335: ICE when DWARF-1 debug info is generated
@ 2003-03-24 15:42 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-24 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, igusarov, nobody

Synopsis: ICE when DWARF-1 debug info is generated

State-Changed-From-To: closed->suspended
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Mon Mar 24 15:23:31 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    As Daniel mentioned correcty, dwarf1 is only deprecated,
    not removed in 3.4 (but deprecated already in 3.3). I
    seem to have misread the compiler output, sorry for the
    confusion.

    Since chances are low that people will want to fix reports
    for deprecated parts of the compiler, I put this into
    "suspended" state.

    W.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=5335

* Re: debug/5335: ICE when DWARF-1 debug info is generated
@ 2003-03-22 22:36 Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-03-22 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR debug/5335; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, igusarov@akella.com,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: debug/5335: ICE when DWARF-1 debug info is generated
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:32:28 -0500

 On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 07:05:31PM -0000, bangerth@dealii.org wrote:
 > Synopsis: ICE when DWARF-1 debug info is generated
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
 > State-Changed-By: bangerth
 > State-Changed-When: Sat Mar 22 19:05:30 2003
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Confirmed with 3.0 through 3.2.2, but 3.3 deprecates and
 >     3.4 removes support for dward1 debugging

 I checked with Zack; this was suggested, but not decided.  Suggest
 leaving the PR open until it is decided.

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: debug/5335: ICE when DWARF-1 debug info is generated
@ 2003-03-22 19:05 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-22 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, igusarov, nobody

@ 2003-03-22 19:02 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-22 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, igusarov, nobody

Synopsis: ICE when DWARF-1 debug info is generated

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->open
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Sat Mar 22 19:02:03 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Feedback received

@ 2003-03-21 16:16 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-03-21 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR debug/5335; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: "Igor A. Goussarov" <igusarov@mail.ru>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:06:20 -0600 (CST)

 >     I've found that test case. In fact, it is not a specially written
 > test case, it is just a piece of preprocessed C++ code, very heavy on
 > templates. It has been manually reduced, eliminating a lot of unrelated
 > #includes, types, classes and member functions. What remains is about
 > 25Kb file which contains several class templates and _one_ function that
 > takes one parameter of type "pointer to some complicated template class"
 > and has an empty function body.

 Send me this one file in private mail, I will then attach it to the
 report.

 >     How do I send this file to you, then? You've told me not to send
 > attachments, and 1000 lines of code is too much to send in a mail body.

 But it's ok as an attachment to a mail.

 Thanks
  Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth             email:            bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: debug/5335: ICE when DWARF-1 debug info is generated
@ 2003-03-21  4:16 Igor A. Goussarov
From: Igor A. Goussarov @ 2003-03-21  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR debug/5335; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Igor A. Goussarov" <igusarov@mail.ru>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	igusarov@akella.com, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:14:35 +0300

 Hello Wolfgang,

     I've found that test case. In fact, it is not a specially written
 test case, it is just a piece of preprocessed C++ code, very heavy on
 templates. It has been manually reduced, eliminating a lot of unrelated
 #includes, types, classes and member functions. What remains is about
 25Kb file which contains several class templates and _one_ function that
 takes one parameter of type "pointer to some complicated template class"
 and has an empty function body. If I would have commented out this
 function, the file would compile perfectly producing an empty .o file.
 (I mean an object file with no one function in it, not a zero-sized
 file). However, it doesn't look like the problem is in this particular
 function. This function acts merely like a trigger, causing all of the
 above templates to be instantiated at once. And it looks asif something
 goes wrong during template instantiation (or generating dwarf debug info
 for all these instantiated templates). Well... it's just my speculations...
     How do I send this file to you, then? You've told me not to send
 attachments, and 1000 lines of code is too much to send in a mail body.
 I can put its gzipped version somewhere to http, so you can download it.
 Or upload it to your ftp.

 Cheers,
 Igor

@ 2003-03-14  2:47 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-14  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, igusarov, nobody

@ 2002-01-09  6:26 igusarov
From: igusarov @ 2002-01-09  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         5335
>Category:       debug
>Synopsis:       ICE when DWARF-1 debug info is generated
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          ice-on-legal-code
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Jan 09 06:26:01 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Igor A. Goussarov
>Release:        Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.4/3.0.3/specs   Configured with: ./configure --prefix=/usr   Thread model: posix   gcc version 3.0.3
The attached file compiles fine if no debug info is
requested or if DWARF-2 debug info is requested.
However, compilation with -gdwarf+, -gdwarf+1, gdwarf+2
or -gdwarf+3 switch results in ICE:

../IGusarov/Lists.h:821: Internal compiler error in dwarfout_finish, at
   dwarfout.c:6532
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.

It looks like generating this debug info requires some
more templated types (which were a member 'typedefs' in
another templated type) to be instantiated and these
freshly instantiated types are left in pending_types_list
which violates the final assertion in dwarfout_finish
and thus lead to abort()...
>How-To-Repeat:
unpack an archived "TemplateElements_.i" file and run
g++ -c -gdwarf+3 TemplateElements_.i
>Fix:
Don't use dwarf-1 debug format. In fact, I've
toyed with various debug info formats and found that
4 out of approx. 120 source files in my current project
fails with the same ICE if compiled with one of
-gdwarf+[123]
----gnatsweb-attachment----