public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: optimization/8913: [3.3 regression] ICE in simplify_gen_subreg, at simplify-rtx.c
@ 2003-03-24 20:04 steven
From: steven @ 2003-03-24 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bangerth, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, rassahah, rodrigc, snyder

Synopsis: [3.3 regression] ICE in simplify_gen_subreg, at simplify-rtx.c

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->closed
State-Changed-By: steven
State-Changed-When: Mon Mar 24 19:56:44 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Unable to reproduce with todays 3.3 CVS,

    I tried the original test case and the
    two test cases in the audit trail. It
    "Just Works" (tm) now.  Apparently
    fixed somewhere along the line.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8913

* Re: optimization/8913: [3.3 regression] ICE in simplify_gen_subreg, at simplify-rtx.c
@ 2003-01-11 16:46 Craig Rodrigues
From: Craig Rodrigues @ 2003-01-11 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR optimization/8913; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To: snyder@fnal.gov, rassahah@cs.tu-berlin.de, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, rodrigc@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
   bangerth@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: optimization/8913: [3.3 regression] ICE in simplify_gen_subreg,
 at simplify-rtx.c
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:39:12 -0500

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8913

 snyder@fnal.gov added this testcase in PR 8917 which is a duplicate of
 this PR:

 template <class T>
 struct THandle
 {
   ~THandle();
 };

 inline void
 get_chunk_object(THandle<int> pchk)
 {
 }

 void bar (THandle<int>& h)
 {
   get_chunk_object (h);

* Re: optimization/8913: [3.3 regression] ICE in simplify_gen_subreg, at  simplify-rtx.c
@ 2002-12-12 17:06 Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2002-12-12 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR optimization/8913; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com>
To: rassahah@cs.tu-berlin.de, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: optimization/8913: [3.3 regression] ICE in simplify_gen_subreg, at
 simplify-rtx.c
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:03:09 -0800

 The regression reported in PR c++/8913 showed up starting with this
 patch, which might merely uncover an existing problem:

 gcc:

 >2002-12-04  Jason Merrill  <jason@redhat.com>
 >
 >       PR c++/8461, c++/8625
 >       * integrate.c (copy_decl_for_inlining): Handle explicit
 invisible
 >       references.
 >       * tree-inline.c (initialize_inlined_parameters): Likewise.
 >
 >       * tree.c (variably_modified_type_p): Just return an
 error_mark_node.

 gcc/cp:

 >2002-12-03  Jason Merrill  <jason@redhat.com>
 >
 >       PR c++/8461, c++/8625
 >       * call.c (convert_for_arg_passing): Don't mess with
 error_mark_node.
 >       (cp_convert_parm_for_inlining): Remove.
 >       * cp-lang.c
 (LANG_HOOKS_TREE_INLINING_CONVERT_PARM_FOR_INLINING):
 >       Remove.
 >       * cp-tree.h (ADDR_IS_INVISIREF): Remove.
 >       * except.c (stabilize_throw_expr): Remove ADDR_IS_INVISIREF
 code.

 Wolfgang narrowed the window to a two-week period, and I'm working on a
 script
 to automate the search for a regression down to the hour when it was
 introduced.

@ 2002-12-12  7:09 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-12  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, rassahah

Old Synopsis: internal compiler error: in simplify_gen_subreg, at simplify-rtx.c
New Synopsis: [3.3 regression] ICE in simplify_gen_subreg, at simplify-rtx.c

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Thu Dec 12 07:09:12 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Confirmed. This is a regression, 3.2 compiled it fine.
    A slightly smaller testcase is
    -------------------
    template <class T> struct Ref {
        Ref(int *);
        ~Ref();
    };

    struct User{
        User (Ref<int> obj) {};
    };

    void test() {
      User a (0);
    }
    yielding
    tmp/g> /home/bangerth/bin/gcc-3.3-pre/bin/c++ -O -c x.cc
    x.cc: In function `void test()':
    x.cc:7: internal compiler error: in simplify_gen_subreg, at simplify-rtx.c:2673
    Please submit a full bug report,
    See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.

    My compiler collection tells me that the regression was
    introduced after Dec 1st this year, i.e. very recently.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8913