public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/10569: use typedef type as return from main yields warning
@ 2003-05-05  7:21 lerdsuwa
From: lerdsuwa @ 2003-05-05  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, wxy

Synopsis: use typedef type as return from main yields warning

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->closed
State-Changed-By: lerdsuwa
State-Changed-When: Mon May  5 07:21:22 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Duplicate of PR4494.  -pedandic issue is also covered by PR10032.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10569

* Re: c++/10569: use typedef type as return from main yields warning
@ 2003-04-30 19:26 Geoff Keating
From: Geoff Keating @ 2003-04-30 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Geoff Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>
To: bangerth@dealii.org
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
   wxy@kivera.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/10569: use typedef type as return from main yields warning
Date: 30 Apr 2003 12:16:42 -0700

 bangerth@dealii.org writes:

 >     An implementation shall not predefine the main function.   This  func-
 >       tion  shall  not  be  overloaded.  It shall have a return type of type
 >       int,...
 >     I can't say whether this rules out having a typedef to
 >     int instead. I think the answer is: don't do it, there's
 >     no good reason for such bogosity.

 The standard does permit this.  Typedefs are just names for existing
 types, not new types, and so can be used anywhere that the type could
 be used.
 --
 - Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>

* Re: c++/10569: use typedef type as return from main yields warning
@ 2003-04-30 18:36 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-04-30 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ices.utexas.edu>
To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, <wxy@kivera.com>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:33:48 -0500 (CDT)

 > There's something weird going on, though. For me, it fails with
 > *error* when turning on -Wall, but not when additionally giving
 > -pedantic:

 Yes, that's a well know problem: -pedantic downgrades some errors to
 warnings.

 W.

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ices.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: c++/10569: use typedef type as return from main yields warning
@ 2003-04-30 18:36 Falk Hueffner
From: Falk Hueffner @ 2003-04-30 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
To: bangerth@dealii.org
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, wxy@kivera.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 30 Apr 2003 20:26:07 +0200

 bangerth@dealii.org writes:

 > Old Synopsis: use typedef type as return from main
 > New Synopsis: use typedef type as return from main yields warning
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
 > State-Changed-By: bangerth
 > State-Changed-When: Wed Apr 30 18:02:19 2003
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Confirmed with present 3.4. The standard says in 3.6.1.2:
 >
 >     An implementation shall not predefine the main function.   This  func-
 >       tion  shall  not  be  overloaded.  It shall have a return type of type
 >       int,...
 >     I can't say whether this rules out having a typedef to
 >     int instead. I think the answer is: don't do it, there's
 >     no good reason for such bogosity.

 There's something weird going on, though. For me, it fails with
 *error* when turning on -Wall, but not when additionally giving
 -pedantic:

 falk@juist:/tmp% g++ --version
 g++ (GCC) 3.4 20030423 (experimental)
 falk@juist:/tmp% g++ -O2 test.cc
 falk@juist:/tmp% g++ -O2 -Wall test.cc
 test.cc:2: error: return type for `main' changed to `int'
 falk@juist:/tmp% g++ -O2 -Wall -pedantic test.cc
 test.cc:2: warning: return type for `main' changed to `int'

 Adding -Wall shouldn't make any program fail, I think.

 --
 	Falk

* Re: c++/10569: use typedef type as return from main yields warning
@ 2003-04-30 18:36 Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2003-04-30 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net>
To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, wxy@kivera.com,
   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 30 Apr 2003 20:31:34 +0200

 Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

 | There's something weird going on, though. For me, it fails with
 | *error* when turning on -Wall, but not when additionally giving
 | -pedantic:

 Yeah, there is a known regression about the way -pedantic behaves.
 Some day in the past, someone touched -pedantic setting and messed
 things up.

 -- Gaby

* Re: c++/10569: use typedef type as return from main yields warning
@ 2003-04-30 18:02 bangerth