public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: other/10659: docs need list of '#define' values generated by compiler
@ 2003-05-07  7:22 neil
From: neil @ 2003-05-07  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bobf, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: docs need list of '#define' values generated by compiler

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: neil
State-Changed-When: Wed May  7 07:22:44 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    You can get a list of predefined macros and there expansions with -E -dM, viz:

    echo '' | gcc -E -dM

    This doesn't list built-ins like __LINE__ or __FILE__ which are variable.  They are documented in the CPP docs at

    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.2/cpp/Predefined-Macros.html#Predefined%20Macros

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10659

* Re: other/10659: docs need list of '#define' values generated by compiler
@ 2003-05-07  7:26 Andris Pavenis
From: Andris Pavenis @ 2003-05-07  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/10659; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andris Pavenis <pavenis@latnet.lv>
To: bobf@mrp3.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: other/10659: docs need list of '#define' values generated by compiler
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:27:23 +0300

 On Wednesday 07 May 2003 09:29, bobf@mrp3.com wrote:
 > >Number:         10659
 > >Category:       other
 > >Synopsis:       docs need list of '#define' values generated by compiler
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > >Responsible:    unassigned
 > >State:          open
 > >Class:          doc-bug
 > >Submitter-Id:   net
 > >Arrival-Date:   Wed May 07 06:36:00 UTC 2003
 > >Closed-Date:
 > >Last-Modified:
 > >Originator:     bob frazier
 > >Release:        gcc 3.2.2 manual (on line)
 > >Environment:
 >
 > N/A (on-line documentation)

 > I was unable to locate a page that described which pre-defined symbols were
 > generated by the compiler.  In some cases symbols (such as __STDC__ ) were
 > mentioned in passing, but in no way could I find symbols to indicate what
 > the CPU options were, optimization level of the compiler, or even simple
 > ones like '__LINE__' (which you assume should be there) or '__cplusplus'
 > (if the C++ compiler is being invoked, for 'dual use' headers).  I am not
 > even sure if I can rely on the use of '__cplusplus' either which is one of
 > the things I was looking for.  The other was the CPU type so that for SOME
 > cpu's I'd have one kind of in-line assembler, and for other cpu's I'd have
 > another kind, and for the rest I'd use C language (as an example).
 >
 > So, someplace in the documentation, please list all of the '#define'
 > constants that the compiler generates, and the options that control them.
 > Having them all on a single page would be nice...
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > reference:  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/
 >
 > >Fix:
 >
 > recommend adding page with '#define's generated by the compiler (based on
 > compiler options or the actual language compilers being run).

 There is easy way how to get them (example for C on machine where I'm writing
 these lines, for C++ use '-x c++' instead of '-x c').

 Andris

 andris@geomets2:~$ gcc -E -dD -x c /dev/null | grep ^#de
 #define __VERSION__ "3.2.2"
 #define __USER_LABEL_PREFIX__
 #define __REGISTER_PREFIX__
 #define __HAVE_BUILTIN_SETJMP__ 1
 #define __SIZE_TYPE__ unsigned int
 #define __PTRDIFF_TYPE__ int
 #define __WCHAR_TYPE__ long int
 #define __WINT_TYPE__ unsigned int
 #define __STDC__ 1
 #define __GNUC__ 3
 #define __GNUC_MINOR__ 2
 #define __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__ 2
 #define __GXX_ABI_VERSION 102
 #define __ELF__ 1
 #define unix 1
 #define __gnu_linux__ 1
 #define linux 1
 #define __ELF__ 1
 #define __unix__ 1
 #define __gnu_linux__ 1
 #define __linux__ 1
 #define __unix 1
 #define __linux 1
 #define __NO_INLINE__ 1
 #define __STDC_HOSTED__ 1
 #define i386 1
 #define __i386 1
 #define __i386__ 1
 #define __tune_i386__ 1

* other/10659: docs need list of '#define' values generated by compiler
@ 2003-05-07  6:36 bobf
From: bobf @ 2003-05-07  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats