public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: bootstrap/10626: install-sh seems to fail intermittantly under cygwin.
@ 2003-05-07 14:46 Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2003-05-07 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/10626; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8yvind_Harboe?= <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com>
To: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <nobody@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>, <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com>
Subject: Re: bootstrap/10626: install-sh seems to fail intermittantly under cygwin.
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 16:44:49 +0200

 This is what the cygwin mailing result had to say about the
 issue:

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=g
 cc&pr=10626

* Re: bootstrap/10626: install-sh seems to fail intermittantly under cygwin.
@ 2003-05-06 10:59 giovannibajo
From: giovannibajo @ 2003-05-06 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, oyvind.harboe

Synopsis: install-sh seems to fail intermittantly under cygwin.

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: bajo
State-Changed-When: Tue May  6 10:59:02 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Would you please elaborate on how this is a GCC bug?
    It looks more like a Cygwin bug to me...

@ 2003-05-06  7:46 Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2003-05-06  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/10626; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8yvind_Harboe?= <oyvind.harboe@broadpark.no>
To: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <nobody@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>, <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 09:39:13 +0200

 Here is a bit more information that probably illustrates the problems
 that
 install-sh is running into under CygWin:

 Session from CygWin shell. "cp" understands the ".exe" extensions,
 but "mv" gets confused.

 oharboe@lair ~
 $ ls
 arm       armscripts  ecos        gcc-install.log  gcc33      mingw
 src
 armgdb32  armsize     foobar.exe  gcc-make.log     gdbtk.ini  scripts

 oharboe@lair ~
 $ mv foobar barfoo
 mv: preserving times for `barfoo': No such file or directory
 mv: preserving ownership for `barfoo': No such file or directory
 mv: cannot unlink `foobar': No such file or directory
 mv: cannot remove `foobar': No such file or directory

 oharboe@lair ~
 $ cp foobar barfoo

 oharboe@lair ~
 $

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=3Dview%20audit-trail&database=3D=
 cc&pr=3D10626=20

 =D8yvind

* bootstrap/10626: install-sh seems to fail intermittantly under cygwin.
@ 2003-05-05 11:56 oyvind.harboe
From: oyvind.harboe @ 2003-05-05 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         10626
>Category:       bootstrap
>Synopsis:       install-sh seems to fail intermittantly under cygwin.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon May 05 11:56:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
>Release:        gcc 3.3
install-sh seems to fail intermittantly under cygwin.

The problem somhow appears to be related to cygwin voodoo w.r.t. ".exe" file extensions.

cp foo bar

will copy foo.exe to bar.exe

this *I think* confuses install-sh.

I've also got emacs installed under cygwin, and when I launch a shell under emacs "M-x shell", "make install" does not appear to fail from under that environment.

I've seen two "make install" in a row where one failed and one succeeded.

Log for failed make-install attached.