public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/7551: g++ does not mind non-void functions which return no value.
@ 2003-05-09  1:01 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-05-09  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim.Barnett, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nathan, nobody

Synopsis: g++ does not mind non-void functions which return no value.

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->nathan
Responsible-Changed-By: bangerth
Responsible-Changed-When: Fri May  9 01:01:26 2003
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Nathan, would you mind taking a second look at this one? I
    don't understand your analysis: of course the warning is for
    falling off the edge of foo(), but foo still returns an int,
    at least as far as main() is concerned, and therefore we
    shouldn't be expecting a warning in main, should we? If we
    would, then this would imply that we would do interprocedural
    analysis...

    W.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7551

* Re: c++/7551: g++ does not mind non-void functions which return no value.
@ 2002-09-14  4:37 nathan
From: nathan @ 2002-09-14  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim.Barnett, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: g++ does not mind non-void functions which return no value.

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->analyzed
State-Changed-By: nathan
State-Changed-When: Sat Sep 14 04:37:07 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    confirmed. The warning is for falling off the end of a
    non-void. here we have (effectively)
        return (void)0;
    inside a non-void fn

@ 2002-09-13 16:07 nathan
From: nathan @ 2002-09-13 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim.Barnett, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: g++ does not mind non-void functions which return no value.

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: nathan
State-Changed-When: Fri Sep 13 16:07:57 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    please provide source

@ 2002-08-09  4:46 Tim.Barnett
From: Tim.Barnett @ 2002-08-09  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         7551
>Category:       c++
>Synopsis:       g++ does not mind non-void functions which return no value.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          accepts-illegal
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Aug 09 04:46:06 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Tim Barnett
>Release:        3.1.1
A simple function with a return type (say, int or bool)
but which fails to return a value at all, compiles fine
without even a warning.  Even with -pedantic and/or -ansi.
Also saw this with version 3.0.4.
>How-To-Repeat:
g++ bug.ii

Where bug.ii is the included, preprocessed source file.