public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/7861: Finds executables instead of standard headers?
@ 2003-05-09  1:13 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-05-09  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, paulf.johnson

Synopsis: Finds executables instead of standard headers?

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Fri May  9 01:13:40 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    No feedback

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7861

* Re: c++/7861: Finds executables instead of standard headers?
@ 2003-02-24 21:26 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-02-24 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/7861; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: Paul <paulf.johnson@ukonline.co.uk>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/7861: Finds executables instead of standard headers?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:16:44 -0800

 Paul <paulf.johnson@ukonline.co.uk> writes:
 >> I suspect you neglected to mention that you had -I. on your command
 >> line, which is specifically asking for fireworks under these
 >> conditions.
 >
 > Nope. Compiled it exactly as I wrote.

 Then something else is going on which you are not telling us about.
 Please repeat the second compilation -- the one that fails -- with -v -H
 tacked onto the command line; that should give some clues.

 zw

* Re: c++/7861: Finds executables instead of standard headers?
@ 2003-02-23 22:16 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-02-23 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/7861; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: Paul <paulf.johnson@ukonline.co.uk>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,  nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
	  gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,  paulf.johnson@ukonline.co.uk?Subject
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:06:31 -0800

 Paul <paulf.johnson@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

 > g++ test.cpp -o string
 > Compiles fine.
 >
 > Change "Paul" to "Phil" (say), recompile and watch the fireworks!

 Unable to reproduce this -

 $ cat > test.cc
 #include <string>
 #include <iostream>

 using namespace std;

 int main()
 {
   string hi = "Paul";
   cout << "Hello " << hi << endl;
 }
 $ g++ test.cc -o string ; echo $?
 0
 $ g++ test.cc -o string ; echo $?
 0

 I suspect you neglected to mention that you had -I. on your command
 line, which is specifically asking for fireworks under these
 conditions.

 It would be sensible for cpplib to detect '\177ELF' at the beginning
 of a file and abandon processing it, so as to avoid flooding the
 user's terminal with unhelpful error messages.  (That string cannot
 appear at the beginning of a well-formed C/C++ source file.)  But it
 would still be an error.

 zw

* Re: c++/7861: Finds executables instead of standard headers?
@ 2003-02-23 22:16 Paul
From: Paul @ 2003-02-23 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/7861; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Paul <paulf.johnson@ukonline.co.uk>
To: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, paulf.johnson@ukonline.co.uk?Subject
Date: 23 Feb 2003 22:12:56 +0000

 Hi,

 > I suspect you neglected to mention that you had -I. on your command
 > line, which is specifically asking for fireworks under these
 > conditions.

 Nope. Compiled it exactly as I wrote.

 TTFN

 Paul

 --
 Tired of bloated software which gobbles up your system resources?
 Bored of hearing your harddrive being thrashed by inefficient code?

* Re: c++/7861: Finds executables instead of standard headers?
@ 2003-02-23 21:56 Paul
From: Paul @ 2003-02-23 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/7861; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Paul <paulf.johnson@ukonline.co.uk>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,  nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
 gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,  paulf.johnson@ukonline.co.uk?Subject
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:57:27 +0000

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7861

 Hi,

 /* test.cpp */

 #include <string>
 #include <iostream>

 using namespace std;

 int main()
 {
   string hi = "Paul";
   cout << "Hello " << hi << endl;
 }

@ 2003-02-23 21:50 neroden
From: neroden @ 2003-02-23 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, paulf.johnson

Old Synopsis: Failure to compile on the second attempt
New Synopsis: Finds executables instead of standard headers?

State-Changed-From-To: closed->feedback
State-Changed-By: neroden
State-Changed-When: Sun Feb 23 21:50:02 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Feedback. :-)

    How... interesting.  That sounds like a preprocessor problem,so the source code (specifically the '#include' statements in it) might be useful here.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7861