public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: other/4977: fix-header seg fault with recursive header files
@ 2003-05-10  7:54 giovannibajo
From: giovannibajo @ 2003-05-10  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ahare, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: fix-header seg fault with recursive header files

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: bajo
State-Changed-When: Sat May 10 07:53:59 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    No feedback, 5 months.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=4977

* Re: other/4977: fix-header seg fault with recursive header files
@ 2002-12-10 16:48 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-10 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ahare, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: fix-header seg fault with recursive header files

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Tue Dec 10 16:48:13 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    This report is slightly more than a year old now, and you
    mention some discussion on the gcc mailing list. Do you
    know whether this has been fixed in the meantime?

    W.

@ 2001-11-23  1:44 ahare
From: ahare @ 2001-11-23  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         4977
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       fix-header seg fault with recursive header files
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Nov 30 15:16:01 PST 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Andy Hare
>Release:        Current CVS
During building of a cross-compiler for the arm-elf using newlib, fix-header seg faults whilst working on dirent.h. Working through and getting fix-header to display the inlcuded files being opened shows that a recursive opening is happening. By stoping the recursive calling the problem goes away. scan_decls() function causes the problem where extern_C_braces_length gets longer than the array index it is being used as.

Disscussion on gcc-bugs mailing list under subject : Problems compiling current CVS under cygwin.

This gives more detail on the exact setup of the cross configure and build, as well as actual generated error messages.
>How-To-Repeat:
The following lines fails every time until the recursive dirent.h is removed.
/build/arm/gcc/gcc/fix-header dirent.h
/xgcc-arm/gnu/arm-elf/sys-include/dirent.h
/build/arm/gcc/gcc/include/dirent.h -D__STDC__=0 -D__cplusplus -I/build/arm/
gcc/gcc/include -I/xgcc-arm/gnu/arm-elf/sys-include
>Fix:
No fix, the work around is to remove the recursive header file. Ideally the fix-header program should fail with an error message indicating a recursive problem, not just crash.