public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: bootstrap/7882: HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0 for PA 1.1
@ 2003-05-14 12:46 David Cuthbert
From: David Cuthbert @ 2003-05-14 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7882; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Cuthbert <dacut@neolinear.com>
To: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,  dacut@neolinear.com,  gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
 gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,  dhazeghi@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: bootstrap/7882: HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0
 for PA 1.1
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:43:19 -0400

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7882

 Hi Dara,

 Sure, will try to look at it today, though I might not get machine time
 until tomorrow or Friday.  Is this really a bug, though?  I thought it
 was (my) pilot error...

 Thanks,
 Dave

* Re: bootstrap/7882: HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0 for PA 1.1
@ 2003-05-14 10:56 giovannibajo
From: giovannibajo @ 2003-05-14 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dacut, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0 for PA 1.1

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: bajo
State-Changed-When: Wed May 14 10:51:56 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    See Dara's question.

@ 2003-05-14  9:36 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-05-14  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7882; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com>
To: dacut@neolinear.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/7882: HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0 for PA 1.1
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 02:26:51 -0700

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-
 trail&database=gcc&pr=7882

 Hello,

 would it be possible for the submitter of this report to determine if
 this problem still occurs with gcc 3.3? Thanks,

 Dara

* Re: bootstrap/7882: HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0 for  PA 1.1
@ 2002-09-10 11:16 Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2002-09-10 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7882; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Law <law@porcupine.slc.redhat.com>
To: Dave Cuthbert <dacut@neolinear.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/7882: HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0 for
 PA 1.1
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:13:11 -0600

 In message <3D7E3158.3020602@neolinear.com>, Dave Cuthbert writes:
  >Jeff Law wrote:
  >> Note that the PA port generates PA1.1 code unless you explicitly ask for
  >> PA2.0 code via the -mpa-risc-2-0 runtime switch.
  >>
  >> So you really shouldn't need to do anything special to generate PA1.1 code,
  >> and in fact, by trying to do something special (configure for hppa1.1-hpux)
  >> you've confused the compiler into thinking it's building cross tools which
  >> is the root cause of your link time failures.
  >
  >Ah, thanks for this info.
  >
  >We got burned by the HP compiler here (we have PA2.0 machines only, and
  >one of our beta releases failed at a customer site which had PA1.1
  >machines), so I was being paranoid.
 No problem.  We've discussed changing the behavior of GCC in this regard
 in the future, but we haven't made any changes yet.

 In the future (assuming we eventually changes how GCC works), the way
 to get the behavior you want will be very similar to what you tried.

 You used "hppa1.1-hpux" as your configure target.  Instead what you'd want
 to do is first run config.guess (included in the GCC sources).  That will
 tell you what GCC thinks your system is.  It'd report back something like
 this:

 hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00

 Then substitute "hppa1.1" for "hppa2.0w" (or whatever appeared before the
 first "-").

 This does two important things:

   1. "hpux" is a generic term, and I believe in the absence of an OS version
      GCC defaults to hpux8 or something horribly old like that.  There are
      important differences between hpux8 and modern HP systems.

      By using the output of config.guess to get the OS version you'll
      be sure to pick up the right configuration for your OS version.

   2. By using the output of config.guess to get the OS version, you'll
      also ensure that GCC's notion of build, host and target OS versions
      are the same.  That should prevent it from thinking it's building
      a cross compiler.  When configured as a cross compiler, all kinds of
      fun stuff happens (like you won't get to use the include files in
      /usr/include, system libraries, etc etc etc).

 Jeff

* Re: bootstrap/7882: HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0 for  PA 1.1
@ 2002-09-10 10:56 Dave Cuthbert
From: Dave Cuthbert @ 2002-09-10 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7882; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dave Cuthbert <dacut@neolinear.com>
To: law@redhat.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
 for  PA 1.1
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:52:24 -0400

@ 2002-09-10 10:46 Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2002-09-10 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7882; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Law <law@porcupine.slc.redhat.com>
To: dacut@neolinear.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
 PA 1.1
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:48:07 -0600

 In message <20020910165058.2609.qmail@sources.redhat.com>, dacut@neolinear.com
 writes:

  >>Number:         7882
  >>Category:       bootstrap
  >>Synopsis:       HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0 for PA 1.1
  >>Confidential:   no
  >>Severity:       non-critical
  >>Responsible:    unassigned
  >>State:          open
  >>Class:          sw-bug
  >>Submitter-Id:   net
  >>Arrival-Date:   Tue Sep 10 09:56:01 PDT 2002
  >>Closed-Date:
  >>Last-Modified:
  >>Originator:     dacut@neolinear.com
  >>Release:        gcc-3.2
  >bootstrapping fails on our HP-UX boxes (which have a PA2.0 processor, but we'
  >re building for PA1.1 for compatibility) because __gcc_plt_call (defined in g
  >cc-3.2/gcc/config/pa/lib2funcs.asm) is missing from
  >libgcc.a.
  >
  >It appears to be a bug in the configuration step; lib2funcs.asm is missing fr
  >om all of the generated makefiles, regardless of the version of as (gas, HP a
  >s, etc.) used.
 [ ... ]

@ 2002-09-10  9:56 dacut
From: dacut @ 2002-09-10  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         7882
>Category:       bootstrap
>Synopsis:       HP bootstrap failure when building on PA 2.0 for PA 1.1
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Sep 10 09:56:01 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     dacut@neolinear.com
>Release:        gcc-3.2
bootstrapping fails on our HP-UX boxes (which have a PA2.0 processor, but we're building for PA1.1 for compatibility) because __gcc_plt_call (defined in gcc-3.2/gcc/config/pa/lib2funcs.asm) is missing from
libgcc.a.

It appears to be a bug in the configuration step; lib2funcs.asm is missing from all of the generated makefiles, regardless of the version of as (gas, HP as, etc.) used.

Using GNU make 3.79.1, configuring with (one sample):

../gcc-3.2/configure
 --prefix=/space/devtools/gcc-3.2-hppa-hpux
 --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,java
 --with-gnu-as
 --with-as=/space/devtools/binutils-2.13-hppa-hpux/bin/as
 --enable-threads=posix
 --disable-multili
 hppa1.1-hpux

(Same results if --gas and --with-as are removed)

After the stage1 compiler is built, I receive the following error when stage2 compilation starts:
/usr/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   __gcc_plt_call (first referenced in
/zone/dacut/build.hpux11/obj-gcc/gcc/libgcc.a(__main.o)) (code)
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Configure for PA 2.0, or manually build lib2funcs.asm after each stage and add it to libgcc.a.