public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* RE: libstdc++/6702: requirements for wchar_t support are too restrictive
@ 2003-05-14 17:36 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-05-14 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/6702; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com>
To: dale.peakall@fdisolutions.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: RE: libstdc++/6702: requirements for wchar_t support are too restrictive
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:35:07 -0700 (PDT)

 > Continuing from before:
 >
 > 3. configure - to only require the minimum set of
 > functions - those used in
 > the library
 >    itself for chosing whether to define
 > _GLIBCPP_USE_WCHAR_T.

 Thanks for the feedback and analysis. Hopefully one of
 the libstdc++ huys will take a look at this soon...

 Dara

 http://search.yahoo.com

From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-05-14 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/6702; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:34:10 -0700 (PDT)

 > 3.2.3 still exhibits the problem.  The resolution to
 > the problem involves
 > changing:
 >
 > 1. std_cwchar.h - so that per-function config
 > variables are tested before
 > performing
 >    the required using statement.
 > 2. configure - to set the various config variables
 > that will be checked
 > 3. configure - to only require the minimum set of
 > functions - those used in
 > the library
 >    itself for

 http://search.yahoo.com

* Re: libstdc++/6702: requirements for wchar_t support are too restrictive
@ 2003-05-12 10:54 steven
From: steven @ 2003-05-12 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dale, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: requirements for wchar_t support are too restrictive

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: steven
State-Changed-When: Mon May 12 10:54:58 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Dara has asked for feedback.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6702

* Re: libstdc++/6702: requirements for wchar_t support are too restrictive
@ 2003-05-10 23:56 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-05-10 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/6702; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, dale@peakall.net
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:49:52 -0700

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-
 trail&database=gcc&pr=6702

 Hello,

 this problem was reported against gcc 3.1 which is now quite old. Would
 it be possible for you to determine if this problem still occurs under
 gcc 3.2.3 or 3.3 prerelease? Thanks,

 Dara

* Re: libstdc++/6702: requirements for wchar_t support are too restrictive
@ 2002-05-17 11:06 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-05-17 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/6702; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>
To: dale@peakall.net
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:00:15 -0400

 On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 05:19:38PM -0000, dale@peakall.net wrote:
 > config.h and c++config.h to
 > define _GLIBCPP_USE_WCHAR_T and rebuilding libstdc++ works without problem
 > on solaris 8, although autoconf had decided that this wasn't possible.

 Before you try hacking around this yourself, it's useful to investigate
 /why/ the autoconf scripts decided it wasn't possible.  The file
 sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libstdc++-v3/config.log in the build directory will
 contain the output of the wide-character tests.  Searching for "C99",
 "mbstate_t" and "wchar" should give results.

 > Support for wchar_t is mandated by the C++ standard - gcc should make
 > more extensive efforts to support it on any platform that it reasonably can
 > (i.e. supports the set of functions used by libstdc++).

 We already try, thankyouverymuch.  More specifically, others have reported
 success on this platform, so I'm initially inclined to look at individual
 platform problems than systemic bugs.  There were problems with the 'long
 long' tests under Solaris giving up too easily, but those were fixed back
 in 3.0.3; wide character support is related but separate.

* libstdc++/6702: requirements for wchar_t support are too restrictive
@ 2002-05-17 10:26 dale
From: dale @ 2002-05-17 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         6702
>Category:       libstdc++
>Synopsis:       requirements for wchar_t support are too restrictive
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri May 17 10:26:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Dale Peakall
>Release:        3.1 20020510 (prerelease)
The requirements before libstdc++ will build with support
for wchar_t are too restrictive.

Changing cwchar and cwctype to not try import the missing
functions into std namespace and changing config.h and c++config.h to define _GLIBCPP_USE_WCHAR_T and rebuilding libstdc++ works without problem on solaris 8, although autoconf had decided that this wasn't possible.