* Namespace, the standard library and the C++ Draft Standard
@ 1998-04-08  6:47 Dirk Broer
From: Dirk Broer @ 1998-04-08  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EGCS

What are the plans on getting egcs up to date to the Draft Standard
at least the December 1996 draft?

Does anyone know of any compiler that is 100% compatible?

Dirk

* Re: Namespace, the standard library and the C++ Draft Standard
@ 1998-04-08 17:25 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-04-08 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Broer; +Cc: egcs

> What are the plans on getting egcs up to date to the Draft Standard
> at least the December 1996 draft?

Work is proceeding to match the final draft.  No one is working to
match the obsolete Dec. 1996 draft, though in most places they are
not that different.

Martin von Loewis is working on the namespace implementation.
Mark Mitchell and Kriang Lerdsuwanakij have contributed major
missing pieces of template functionality.
Ulrich Drepper is working on updating the standard C++ library,
though he hasn't made that work available yet (I occasionally
bug him about the cathedral he's working on).

> Does anyone know of any compiler that is 100% compatible?

None exist, partly because the committee changed things right up
until just before the final (Nov 1997) draft, and implementers
take time.  Compilers based on the EDG front end are pretty close
for the compiler proper (modulo the usual bugs and language lawyer
nitpicking), but class libraries are another matter.

* Re: Namespace, the standard library and the C++ Draft Standard
@ 1998-04-09  8:27   ` William S. Lear
From: William S. Lear @ 1998-04-09  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Wed, April 8, 1998 at 11:48:41 (PDT) Joe Buck writes:

>> What are the plans on getting egcs up to date to the Draft Standard
>> at least the December 1996 draft?
>
>Work is proceeding to match the final draft.  No one is working to
>match the obsolete Dec. 1996 draft, though in most places they are
>not that different.
>
>Martin von Loewis is working on the namespace implementation.
>Mark Mitchell and Kriang Lerdsuwanakij have contributed major
>missing pieces of template functionality.

Speaking of which, Mark Mitchell contributed patches for a template
problem I reported long ago.  I never saw these mentioned as being
included in egcs.  How can one tell which patches have been accepted,
and which remain to be?

Bill

* Re: Namespace, the standard library and the C++ Draft Standard
@ 1998-04-09 10:53     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-04-09 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William S. Lear; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 13612.53599.881391.278683@lisa.zopyra.com >you write:
  > Speaking of which, Mark Mitchell contributed patches for a template
  > problem I reported long ago.  I never saw these mentioned as being
  > included in egcs.  How can one tell which patches have been accepted,
  > and which remain to be?
You can look in gcc/cp/ChangeLog to see what patches have gone into
the C++ compiler.

jeff

* Re: Namespace, the standard library and the C++ Draft Standard
@ 1998-04-09 14:17     ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-04-09 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William S. Lear; +Cc: egcs

> Speaking of which, Mark Mitchell contributed patches for a template
> problem I reported long ago.  I never saw these mentioned as being
> included in egcs.  How can one tell which patches have been accepted,
> and which remain to be?

Visit the web page

http://egcs.cygnus.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb

This is a WWW interface to the EGCS CVS tree.  Traverse the tree
until you find a file that is modified by that patch.  Select that
file.  You will then see the revision history of that file, with
short descriptions of each change that was made and when it was made.
You can also get diffs between any two versions of the same file.

A template patch was likely to modify gcc/cp/pt.c, so see the page

http://egcs.cygnus.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb/gcc/cp/pt.c

* Re: Namespace, the standard library and the C++ Draft Standard
@ 1998-04-10 20:10 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-04-10 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk.Broer, egcs

> From: "Dirk Broer" <Dirk.Broer@gsfc.nasa.gov>
> To: "EGCS" <egcs@cygnus.com>
> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:47:55 -0400

> What are the plans on getting egcs up to date to the Draft Standard
> at least the December 1996 draft?

Yes.  We all plan it.  We make progress in bits and pieces.

> Does anyone know of any compiler that is 100% compatible?

There is none.