* Status of the GNAT Ada compiler
@ 2004-11-27  0:44 Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-11-27  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC ML

Hi,

I've just tried to build GCC-3.4.3 only for the Ada compiler, it won't
even configure, leaving out the --enable-languages=ada flag doesn't
bring the compiler in. I've tried going back to 3.4.2 and 3.4.1, same
problems.

I've just read through the ml archives and there is a thread about the
contribution to the Ada compiler already. Has Robert Dewar given any
info on the discussions he was going to hold at AdaCore? I can't see it
on the list.

I've asked before, but when can we expect to see a new free version of
GNAT that includes *all* of the tools (there is
http://gnat-asis.sourceforge.net)? It's been around 9 years since 3.15p
and I haven't been able to build a 2.8.0 compiler for years (well I
haven't tried with GCC-2.95.x).

I can see that there are Ada programmers (besides myself) who need an
Ada compiler, yet we're not getting anywhere (or don't seem to be). I
can see this either being forked, or a new compiler being written to
replace GNAT, which I don't relish the thought of, to be honest.

Luke.

* Re: Status of the GNAT Ada compiler
@ 2004-11-27  0:56 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2004-11-27  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke A. Guest; +Cc: GCC ML

On Nov 26, 2004, at 7:01 PM, Luke A. Guest wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just tried to build GCC-3.4.3 only for the Ada compiler, it won't
> even configure, leaving out the --enable-languages=ada flag doesn't
> bring the compiler in. I've tried going back to 3.4.2 and 3.4.1, same
> problems.

You have to set GNATCC or some other environment variable to setup to
configure with a non default gcc and a gnat.  I don't remember
how to do it because my default gcc has Ada support.

Also 3.4.x works for me, try reading the installation documentation
before complaining.  Note the mainline has different instructions
to install than before (it is easier).

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

* Re: Status of the GNAT Ada compiler
@ 2004-11-27  1:01   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-11-27  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GCC ML

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 00:07, Andrew Pinski wrote:

> You have to set GNATCC or some other environment variable to setup to
> configure with a non default gcc and a gnat.  I don't remember
> how to do it because my default gcc has Ada support.
>
> Also 3.4.x works for me, try reading the installation documentation
> before complaining.  Note the mainline has different instructions
> to install than before (it is easier).

I have read the installation documentation at
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html and there is no reference to
GNATCC.

@ 2004-11-27  1:13 ` Laurent GUERBY
From: Laurent GUERBY @ 2004-11-27  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke A. Guest; +Cc: GCC ML

Hi Luke, in order to be able to help you web need
some information:

- what is your OS
- what is your OS installed Ada compiler
- what are you typing in exactly
- how does it fail exactly

I personaly use SuSE 9.1 on both x86 and x86_64 cpus,
the distribution comes with packages gnat and gnat-runtime, if you
install them from YaST then you can compile
without any problem GCC 3.4.x and GCC from current CVS
by following the GCC website instructions.

Sincerely,

Laurent

@ 2004-11-27  1:15   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-11-27  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent GUERBY; +Cc: GCC ML

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 00:56, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
> Hi Luke, in order to be able to help you web need
> some information:
>
> - what is your OS
> - what is your OS installed Ada compiler
> - what are you typing in exactly
> - how does it fail exactly
>
> I personaly use SuSE 9.1 on both x86 and x86_64 cpus,
> the distribution comes with packages gnat and gnat-runtime, if you
> install them from YaST then you can compile
> without any problem GCC 3.4.x and GCC from current CVS
> by following the GCC website instructions.

Linux rogue 2.6.8-gentoo-r7 #2 Mon Oct 11 00:13:25 BST 2004 i686 AMD
Athlon(TM) XP 2000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

I have an optional install of GNAT-3.15p which I use to build FSF GNAT.

../gcc-3.4.1/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc-3.4.1 --enable-languages=ada
--program-suffix=341 2>&1|tee log.config.txt

 make BOOT_CFLAGS='-mtune=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe' CFLAGS='-O'
LIBCXXFLAGS='-g -O2 -fno-implicit-templates' bootstrap 2>&1|tee
log.make.txt

The last version I have that installed without any problems in 3.4.0.

I'm about to try the -rgcc-ss-3_4-20041126 branch.

@ 2004-11-27  1:41     ` Laurent GUERBY
From: Laurent GUERBY @ 2004-11-27  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke A. Guest; +Cc: GCC ML

Well I just checked, I have succesfully compiled 3.4.0,
3.4.1 and 3.4.2 from the SuSE provided Ada compiler.
I suggest you just try with "make bootstrap",
and if it fails please report the exact details
of the failure in GCC bugzilla (http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla)

We know that 3.4.x is unable to compile itself (Ada wise) after
being installed, there was a patch with a problem, a suggestion
to fix the patch problem but it was refused by Ada maintainers.
(I don't have the references handy).

Sincerely,

Laurent

@ 2004-11-27  1:48     ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-11-27  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent GUERBY; +Cc: GCC ML

Well, it seems my gnat needs to be at the start of my PATH, which I keep forgetting ;-)

But it still doesn't make what I said earlier any less relevant :-D

Luke.