* EGCS & libiberty Was: egcs-980205 and m68-next-nextstep3: quick death
@ 1998-02-07 21:42 Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1998-02-07 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Kaveh R. Ghazi, egcs, toon

robertl > How about if we just migrate things to link against libiberty
robertl > and get out this form of macro madness?  Isn't that what
robertl > autconf and libiberty are about?
robertl >
robertl > Then we could lose all sorts of "private" functions in gcc
robertl > such as the "mybcopy" and "mybzero" things that pop up all
robertl > over the place.

jeff> It's been in the back of my mind to link gcc against libiberty....

While the code is undergoing the warning scrubbing sounds like a good
time to do it, and it's the sort of thing that those of us that aren't
RTL-heads can help out with.

Make the decision.   I can't drive it all, but I'll help.

RJL

* Re: EGCS & libiberty Was: egcs-980205 and m68-next-nextstep3: quick death
@ 1998-02-08  8:45 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1998-02-08  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

 Robert> robertl > Then we could lose all sorts of "private" functions in gcc
 Robert> robertl > such as the "mybcopy" and "mybzero" things that pop up all
 Robert> robertl > over the place.

 jeff> It's been in the back of my mind to link gcc against libiberty....

 Robert> While the code is undergoing the warning scrubbing sounds
 Robert> like a good time to do it, and it's the sort of thing that
 Robert> those of us that aren't RTL-heads can help out with.

I thought the idea, raised long ago, was that libiberty should provide
missing libc functionality for gcc to link against, rather than just
itself be linked against.  libf2c currently has to worry about things
like BSD-style sprintf which it would be nice to finesse.

* Re: EGCS & libiberty Was: egcs-980205 and m68-next-nextstep3: quick death
@ 1998-02-08  9:53   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-02-08  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Love; +Cc: egcs

  In message < rzqbtwihwq9.fsf@djlvig.dl.ac.uk >you write:
  > I thought the idea, raised long ago, was that libiberty should provide
  > missing libc functionality for gcc to link against, rather than just
  > itself be linked against.  libf2c currently has to worry about things
  > like BSD-style sprintf which it would be nice to finesse.
libiberty can actually be used in both ways -- that's part of the reason
it's built as both a host and target library.

As a host library it can satisfy symbols for gcc.

As a target library it can satisfy symbols for libf2c -- must like it already
does for libstdc++.

The only thing to be careful with on the target side is some functions in
libiberty are GPL'd, which would then infect the target library.  Right now
we don't use any of the GPL'd functions in libstdc++, so it's not a problem.
Just something we need to be aware of if we use it for libf2c.

jeff

* Re: EGCS & libiberty Was: egcs-980205 and m68-next-nextstep3: quick death
@ 1998-02-15  9:01     ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1998-02-15  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

 Jeff> The only thing to be careful with on the target side is some
 Jeff> functions in libiberty are GPL'd, which would then infect the
 Jeff> target library.  Right now we don't use any of the GPL'd
 Jeff> functions in libstdc++, so it's not a problem.  Just something
 Jeff> we need to be aware of if we use it for libf2c.

These routines seem to have the same special exception as libgcc,
though.  Have I missed some that don't, or is there some other
problem?

* Re: EGCS & libiberty Was: egcs-980205 and m68-next-nextstep3: quick death
@ 1998-02-15  9:53       ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-02-15  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Love; +Cc: egcs

  In message < rzqiuqg3ird.fsf@djlvig.dl.ac.uk >you write:

  >  Jeff> The only thing to be careful with on the target side is some
  >  Jeff> functions in libiberty are GPL'd, which would then infect the
  >  Jeff> target library.  Right now we don't use any of the GPL'd
  >  Jeff> functions in libstdc++, so it's not a problem.  Just something
  >  Jeff> we need to be aware of if we use it for libf2c.
  >
  > These routines seem to have the same special exception as libgcc,
  > though.  Have I missed some that don't, or is there some other
  > problem?
Some files in libiberty have the exception, some don't.  Some
did't have any copyright at all last time I looked... (sigh).

Right now only routines with the exception are used by libstdc++.

I was just mentioning an issue that folks need to be aware of if
we start using libiberty for more target stuff.

jeff

* Re: EGCS & libiberty Was: egcs-980205 and m68-next-nextstep3: quick death
@ 1998-02-15 21:20 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-02-15 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Lipe; +Cc: Kaveh R. Ghazi, egcs, toon

  In message < 19980207234204.26843@dgii.com >you write:
  > robertl > How about if we just migrate things to link against libiberty
  > robertl > and get out this form of macro madness?  Isn't that what
  > robertl > autconf and libiberty are about?
  > robertl >
  > robertl > Then we could lose all sorts of "private" functions in gcc
  > robertl > such as the "mybcopy" and "mybzero" things that pop up all
  > robertl > over the place.
  >
  > jeff> It's been in the back of my mind to link gcc against libiberty....
  >
  > While the code is undergoing the warning scrubbing sounds like a good
  > time to do it, and it's the sort of thing that those of us that aren't
  > RTL-heads can help out with.
  >
  > Make the decision.   I can't drive it all, but I'll help.
The engineer in me is telling me to hold off, possibly until after
we settle down from the  -W -Wall patch...

jeff