* Restricted or no run time in Ada
@ 2008-01-02 19:12 Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2008-01-02 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC ML

Hi,

I got a simple hello world style multiboot kernel working again recently
and it has got me thinking about how I should be using GNAT.

Basically, I built a cross compiler for binutils and gcc to target
i386-elf (I will be wanting to play with other targets in the future,
e.g. mips-elf, arm-elf, sparc-elf, etc.). This gives me the following
toolset:

i386-elf-addr2line i386-elf-gcc       i386-elf-gprof   i386-elf-ranlib
i386-elf-ar        i386-elf-gcc-4.2.2 i386-elf-ld      i386-elf-readelf
i386-elf-as        i386-elf-gccbug    i386-elf-nm      i386-elf-size
i386-elf-c++filt   i386-elf-gcov      i386-elf-objcopy i386-elf-strings
i386-elf-cpp       i386-elf-gnatbind  i386-elf-objdump i386-elf-strip

Which is fine enough as I can compile Ada sources with gcc.

Now to get my kernel to compile I originally used pragma No_Run_Time
which is now obsolete. I heard about the Zero Foot Print configurable
runtime but couldn't get it to compile some of the source files and I
couldn't figure out why.

I then tried to use the new Ada 2005 pragma Restrictions and put the
following in my gnat.adc:

-- Basic stuff.
pragma Restrictions(No_Obsolescent_Features);
pragma Restrictions(No_Exceptions);
pragma Restrictions(No_Recursion);

-- Memory management.
pragma Restrictions(No_Allocators);
pragma Restrictions(No_Local_Allocators);
pragma Restrictions(No_Unchecked_Deallocation);
--pragma Restrictions(No_);

-- Make sure we don't have tasking or any of it's features enabled.
pragma Restrictions(Max_Tasks => 0);
pragma Restrictions(No_Protected_Types);
pragma Restrictions(No_Delay);
pragma Restrictions(No_Task_Hierarchy);
pragma Restrictions(No_Abort_Statements);
pragma Restrictions(No_Implicit_Heap_Allocations);
pragma Restrictions(No_Asynchronous_Control);

I'm sure there are more I can use, I'm not sure about that.

Now, AFAIK I'm fairly sure I don't need to use the binder as that will
create a "main" including argc, argv, etc which you don't have in a
kernel (obviously), but I'm sure there are some elaborations that aren't
being done that I *should* have.

I basically want to develop a microkernel that doesn't use the Ada
runtime as an executive, I know this is the usual route, but I don't
want to do that. An Ada runtime on top of my kernel is fine though.

So, am I going the right way about this? Or is there something else I
should be doing? Am I missing pragma's or using them wrong? Should I
really be building a minimal runtime such that I can use Ada minus
exceptions, tasking, etc?

Thanks,
Luke.

* Re: Restricted or no run time in Ada
@ 2008-01-04 16:18 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2008-01-04 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC ML

Further to my last email, I managed to get it to work with no runtime,
I've documented it as well, here:

http://www.archeia.com/article-1199444859.html

Luke.