* Polyhedral Model
@ 2009-04-27 21:25 Cristianno Martins
From: Cristianno Martins @ 2009-04-27 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I'm a master degree student at University of Campinas
(Unicamp/Brazil), and I'd been trying to find a compiler to add to it
a loop optimization based on polyhedral model.
The polyhedral model (basically) works with nested loops structures,
performing some transformations, in order to improve the efficiency of
their execution. I'm trying to apply this method to automatic
compilation for multicore processors.
Well, I didn't find anything about a implementation of this kind of
optimization inside of gcc. Also, I need to know if someone is working
on something like this using the gcc compiler.

Thanks in advance,

--
Cristianno Martins

* Re: Polyhedral Model
@ 2009-04-27 21:46 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-04-27 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristianno Martins; +Cc: gcc

Cristianno Martins wrote:

> Well, I didn't find anything about a implementation of this kind of
> optimization inside of gcc. Also, I need to know if someone is working
> on something like this using the gcc compiler.

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Polyhedral Model
@ 2009-04-27 23:08   ` Tobias Grosser
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2009-04-27 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: Cristianno Martins, gcc

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 19:58 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> Cristianno Martins wrote:
>
> > Well, I didn't find anything about a implementation of this kind of
> > optimization inside of gcc. Also, I need to know if someone is working
> > on something like this using the gcc compiler.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite

Yes this is the right point and you are welcome to take part in
development of Graphite. To be honest there is a lot of work left to be
done even if there are already working several people on Graphite. ;-)
If you want you can join our weekly phone calls on Wednesday or you just
sent some questions to the mailing lists so we can help you to get
started with graphite.
The file that might be interesting for you is graphite-poly.h in the
graphite branch. This is the interface/data structure of our polyhedral
representation. It would be great if you could look into it and give us
some feedback.

Tobias

* Re: Polyhedral Model
@ 2009-04-27 23:41     ` Cristianno Martins
From: Cristianno Martins @ 2009-04-27 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Grosser; +Cc: Dave Korn, gcc

Hi,

Thank you for helping me with those informations. From now on, I'll be
checking the Graphite framework, and I intend to contribute to that by
providing support to automatic parallelization. However, my project
focus on multicore architectures; I guess this is not a problem, is
it?

Thanks in advance,

--
Cristianno Martins
Mestrando em Computação

cel: (19) 8825-5731
skype: cristiannomartins
gTalk: cristiannomartins
msn: cristiannomartins@hotmail.com

* Re: Polyhedral Model
@ 2009-04-28 15:00       ` Tobias Grosser
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2009-04-28 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristianno Martins; +Cc: Dave Korn, gcc, Li Feng, Razya Ladelsky, Sebastian Pop

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 19:26 -0300, Cristianno Martins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for helping me with those informations. From now on, I'll be
> checking the Graphite framework, and I intend to contribute to that by
> providing support to automatic parallelization. However, my project
> focus on multicore architectures; I guess this is not a problem, is
> it?

This is great. At the moment this is a very hot topic. If you need more
information on this part there are several people also interested in
automatic parallelization.

Razya Ladelsky from IBM:

She wrote a larger part of tree-parloops.c. This is the first basic
implementation of automatic parallelization in gcc using OpenMP.

Sebastian Pop:

He wrote the first draft of tree-parloops.c

Li Feng:

Currently working in his Google summer of Code to extend tree-parloops.c
to take advantage of the analysis graphite can offer us.

Me:

I am from the LooPo group in Passau. We work since a long time on the
polyhedral model and would like to try some of our ideas in the gcc.
This will start summer 2009, as there is still some work left to make
graphite stable enough.

There are several other people generally in automatic parallelization,
that I do not know yet or that have not yet contributed code but work on
the research side.

Also there are more people working on Graphite in general.

Feel free to join our team. It would be great to read a little bit more
about your ideas.
If you need any help to get started with Graphite - just drop us a line.

Tobias

> Thanks in advance,
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Tobias Grosser <tobi-grosser@web.de> wrote:

> >> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite
> >>

> > Yes this is the right point and you are welcome to take part in
> > development of Graphite. To be honest there is a lot of work left to be
> > done even if there are already working several people on Graphite. ;-)
> > If you want you can join our weekly phone calls on Wednesday or you just
> > sent some questions to the mailing lists so we can help you to get
> > started with graphite.
> > The file that might be interesting for you is graphite-poly.h in the
> > graphite branch. This is the interface/data structure of our polyhedral
> > representation. It would be great if you could look into it and give us
> > some feedback.
> >
> > Tobias

* Re: Polyhedral Model
@ 2009-06-10 18:14       ` Tobias Grosser
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2009-06-10 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristianno Martins; +Cc: Dave Korn, gcc

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 19:26 -0300, Cristianno Martins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for helping me with those informations. From now on, I'll be
> checking the Graphite framework, and I intend to contribute to that by
> providing support to automatic parallelization. However, my project
> focus on multicore architectures; I guess this is not a problem, is
> it?

Hey Christiano,

I have not heard anything from you for a while. How is your project
going?

Tobi