* Building breaks on shared libs
@ 1997-12-02 22:54 Orn E. Hansen
From: Orn E. Hansen @ 1997-12-02 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

  I've applied the patches for the December 1st snapshot, and
configured it with '--enable-shared' and '--enable-thread'.  After
having given the command:

  make bootstrap-lean

  The build successfully built the compiler and utilities, and went on
to the stdc++, finishing with making a static one 'libstdc++.a'.  But
breaks on making the shared 'libstdc++.so.2.8.0'.  It gives errors on
several files that are referred to under the 'libio' tree.  Thinking
that some of these files were non-existant. However, taking a quick
look under the 'libio', those files were there.  Maybe the links to
these files, for the making of shared libs, are given relative to the
wrong root tree?

  The system I build it on, is Debian, with glibc 2.0.5c.  I've
successfully used the egcs compiler with the static library, without
any problems.  I also installed only the 'egcs-core' and 'egcs-c++'
parts of egcs (I don't need fortran :-)

* Re: Building breaks on shared libs
@ 1997-12-03  8:36 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-03  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orn E. Hansen; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199712030123.CAA26318@oehansen.pp.se >you write:
  > breaks on making the shared 'libstdc++.so.2.8.0'.  It gives errors on
  > several files that are referred to under the 'libio' tree.
Exactly what error message did it give you?

jeff

* Re: Building breaks on shared libs
@ 1997-12-03 12:54   ` Orn E. Hansen
From: Orn E. Hansen @ 1997-12-03 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Orn E. Hansen, egcs

Jeffrey A Law writes:

 > Exactly what error message did it give you?

 Under the stdc++ tree, it builds the static libstdc++.a, and then
tries to build the shared libraries.  It then gives a message of a
number of files that are missing.

 I tried to build it, with 'make bootstrap' instead of
'bootstrap-lean' incase.  In this case, it referred to files under
'pic'.  These files were listed in a file called 'piclist' in the
libstdc++ folder.  All object files listed in this file, were missing
and thus couldn't be complete the building of the shared libraries.

* Re: Building breaks on shared libs
@ 1997-12-05  9:20     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-05  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orn E. Hansen; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199712031851.TAA10986@oehansen.pp.se >you write:
  > Jeffrey A Law writes:
  >  >
  >  > Exactly what error message did it give you?
  >  >

  >  Under the stdc++ tree, it builds the static libstdc++.a, and then
  > tries to build the shared libraries.  It then gives a message of a
  > number of files that are missing.
  >
  >  I tried to build it, with 'make bootstrap' instead of
  > 'bootstrap-lean' incase.  In this case, it referred to files under
  > 'pic'.  These files were listed in a file called 'piclist' in the
  > libstdc++ folder.  All object files listed in this file, were missing
  > and thus couldn't be complete the building of the shared libraries.
Don't try to describe what happened -- give us the raw messages.

jeff

* Re: Building breaks on shared libs
@ 1997-12-05 10:44       ` Orn E. Hansen
From: Orn E. Hansen @ 1997-12-05 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Orn E. Hansen, egcs

Jeffrey A Law writes:

 > Don't try to describe what happened -- give us the raw messages.

 sorry, didn't keep them... I'll remember to do that next time.

 I think the fault was because I had configured 'egcs' to build the
object in the same directory as the source.  Anyways, I refetched
(safest, as I had fiddled with the other, tryiing to get it to work) the
source from the ftp site (1201 snapshot) and configured it to build in
a different directory and then it compiled without a glitch.